Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a pink Toshiba mini laptop NB205, and I have only just purchased this laptop brand new, it had been having problems connecting to wireless internet, now it will not connect at all to wireless internet. I have checked out the wireless (a Linksys) device and my laptop says it is working properly so I try to repair the wireless connection by going to Network Connections and right clicking on the wireless network connection and it goes through the process but says it can not renew IP address? And also, my mini lap top does detect the wireless network but wont connect to it?? When I try to connect to it, it seems to be trying to connect but i get kicked off right as it connects, we do have our wireless protected with a security password. Not sure what could possibly be going on?

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Welcome to TSG;
Easy things to try first.
Disable encryption and all firewalls to see if that allows wireless access.
Next we would need to know:
makes and models of modem and router
ISP
operating system.
Then some diagnostic info.
Let's check the adapter card.Like so:
Let's take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
4. Under general tab should be enabled and working properly.
5. If error code,what is it ?

Then:
From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address> For addresses,follow instructions below….

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING www.yahoo.com
Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. IPV4 for Vista

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
______

What I primarily would like to see first is just the result from the ipconfig /all command.
We may want to try the pings later for clarification,but let's do it a bit at a time for your ease.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.