Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a repost of thread that unfortunately was not solved: Refer to #524518-autocomplete-not-working

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Web Browser forum. Recently upgraded to IE7 (7.0.5730.11) and EVERYTHING went well. The only function that appears to not work is the AutoComplete funtion. I've tried all of the suggested fixes and it is still not working.

The function that I miss the most is the AutoComplete for filling in my "User Name" on the different forms I use. Any suggestions?? Thanks again...

Using XP SP2

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is an alternative which is much safer than relying on autocomplete. Try using a password manager which is much safer. I think Easypassword manager is still free, click here You have tried tools/content/settings to make sure you have autocomplete turned on, haven't you?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zemdarin-

Thanks for the response, Easypassword manager sounds like the way to go BUT I'm still wondering AND would like to correct why the AutoComplete function quit working with my upgrade to IE7. It is turned on, cleared history. reset browser (caused MANY Pop-ups, long time to fix), tried to delete all index.dat files (believe it is here where the problem lies). Any and all corrective suggestions are welcome. Thanx

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know if it has been suggested before but I would uninstall it myself, then make sure you run error checking, do a defrag, empty all your old files and history run a registry Editor like Reg Mechanic, or there are several free ones out there. Download and reinstall I/E7 and see if it works. Most peoples problems are caused by lack of maintenance. I have never had a problem like that with I/E7. mind you I would never ever use that part of windows anyway.

I prefer something that scrambles all passwords and form filling. In Easy Password Manager not even the techs of that firm would be able to decrypt it if you lost your major password key to open the program. You would never have to remember another password, it is so easy just to drag and drop it where you want it. You also never have to use the keyboard to put them in either.

I don't work for them by the way I just can't remember 67 passwords without it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zemdarin-

Thanks for your reply. Well tried all suggestions and still not working. Probably go with the Easy Password program until MS offers a fix. Thanx

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your welcome. You won't be disappointed with Easy Password Manager. If they are still the same, I think they allow only 20 free passwords with the free version. If you like it and decide to buy at least it is only a one off buy, and it is unlimited.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fyreman,

I just want to make sure I understand where we are with this. You ran the HJT and the admin worked with you on that - and that did NOT fix the autocomplete. Is that right? The problem, as I remember, is that we could not find a way to delete the index.dat file, and it sounded, as augie worked with you on that, that it was probably corrupt.

Next idea. Were you ever asked if you wanted IE to remember your password and responded by saying NO? If so, that might be what caused this, and this is one possible fix:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=348

Also -

Some of the autocomplete features are tied into cookies. Is your browser set up to keep the cookies? If you delete those each time, the autocomplete won't work right.

And here's another Microsoft suggestion I found:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ad29be0c4b7/92fecd53f4b96e69#92fecd53f4b96e69

Let me know if any of this helps.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WyldStallyyn-

Thanks for the reply.

You ran the HJT and the admin worked with you on that - and that did NOT fix the autocomplete. Yes that is correct, it DID NOT fix the problem.

The problem, as I remember, is that we could not find a way to delete the index.dat file, and it sounded, as augie worked with you on that, that it was probably corrupt. Yes that is correct, I believe it is corrupt and STILL UNABLE to delete ALL of the index.dat files.

Were you ever asked if you wanted IE to remember your password and responded by saying NO? When I upgraded to IE7 I was never asked if I wanted it to remember my login/user, password. Please remember, these functions worked correctly in IE6.

Some of the autocomplete features are tied into cookies. Is your browser set up to keep the cookies? If you delete those each time, the autocomplete won't work right.
My cookies are saved until I clear them manually.

I'll try the posted suggestions and wait for your reply. Thanx

Tried this from MS Help#885180:
... 5. Expand Protected Storage System Provider, and then click the user subkey folder that is directly under Protected Storage System Provider. This user subkey appears similar to the following:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the following message that appears:
Are you sure you want to delete this key and all of its subkeys?
Note More than one of these user subkeys may appear under Protected Storage System Provider. One of these user subkeys appears for every identity that you have. Therefore, to resolve this issue for all your identities, remove all the user subkey folders under Protected Storage System Provider.

Would not let me delete that subkey. So reading farther, I think my cache or Registry is corrupt. Just trying to keep you posted, thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fyreman,

I just re-reviewed everything we did in the first thread and in this one, and it's sounding more and more like a corrupt registry and / or a corrupt file. You said you tried to delete that key as an administrator and couldn't, right? If that is the case, there might be only one way to fix it, and that is to reinstall everything - including the op sys. I'll research it and see if there is anything I missed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WyldStallyyn-

Interesting... not really game for reinstalling OPs System. The wierd thing is that when I go back to IE6, it works. That's why I thought it has to be something other than the Registry. What bothers me is that I cannot perform a DELETE function in the Registry.

"Have you tried this suggestion from Microsoft to delete the Protected Storage System Provider sub-key?"

"Well the plot thickens, followed MS instructions and got to the point of deleting and this message came back:
"Cannot delete S-1-5-21-3675082934-3280539626-1833182299-1006: Error while deleting key." "

Thanx

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's why I think the registry is corrupt. One way to repair that is to reinstall the op sys. I'm looking for alternatives.

The 2 IE versions exist in separate folders. That's why one can work correctly, and the other one not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just did an lengthy search of Microsoft's knowledge base and was shocked at how many possible "fixes" there are for this problem. Makes you wonder how it works at all.

Here's one we haven't tried:

Go to Start / Run and enter the following:
regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll

Click on Ok, run and reboot.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that surprised me too. Well tried the latest and NO LUCK- sorry. I truly appreciate your help and patience. Thanx- all ears and fingers. Have a safe New Year's celebration.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WyldStallyyn-

Well, it was suggested by Augie65 to do a "Reset", which resulted in a host of POP-UP problems. These were eventually corrected in the Security forum. I think I've tried one (1) reinstall way in the beginning, none since all of the tweaking / suggestions have been applied. I'll try it tomorrow when I get off shift. Thanx

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WyldStallyyn-

Sorry, no luck on the reinstall. Went the SAFE MODE route and still the same. Says I had a successful installation of IE7 but AutoComplete still not working. Anything else...?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PatrickD-

WOW, I thought I was the only one on this "lifeboat". I would highly suggest to follow all the suggestions that have been given, and if not fixed, maybe a glitch has been found with IE7.

You might also want to research the thread started by me titled "AutoComplete not working" on 12/06/06. This has a lot of good information also. Good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fyreman,

I haven't forgotten you. My mother was hospitalized, so that took most of my time the past 2 days (she's home and recuperating now). I just did some more research, and I'm hitting a wall here. The one thing that I don't think we ever really finished was the attempt to delete the index.dat file through dos. I just re-read the first thread and couldn't tell whether augie was able to resolve the problems you were having in Dos or not. The last I saw was you saying that you tried to do a "cd gary" and it couldn't find it. Were you able to delete that file through Dos? if not, I think that would be worth another attempt.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.