Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The den computer needs to be connected to the router. The router is LinkSys Wireless G Access Point. It came with a disk in which I will install after I get guidance from you because I have no instructions in this box. In another room is a computer with XP Home as well. I have an installation disk with a Wireless G PCI Adapter. I know how to install that disk and the adapter. Now, I have a new netbook in my other daughters room that the guy said had the wireless already set up in it somehow. When I install in den computer what can I expect and then do I do bedroom 1, press the Easy Button on the access point and what can I expect from that and then what do i do for Bedroom
I just noticed the Toshiba Netbook has Atheros AR9285 Wireless Netwook.
Also, this LinkSys Access Point. Is this supposed to connect to my Cisco Wireless G Broadband Router? I AM SO CONFUSED! What the heck --does this access point router connect to my cisco broadband g router?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Calm down, Julie. Take a deep breath ... :)

What modems, routers, access points do you already have working? Start with the modem--brand and model please. Is it connected to a router? If so, what is its brand and model? Any other such devices connected?

Do you have another router or access point that you also want to use?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have too many things. I have sitting in front of me a Lynksys Wireless G Access Point. Model Number wap546. DO I even need this. I have connected now a Cisco Wireless G Broadband router model wrt5462 V1 connected to my den computer, charter cable modem and vonage fax/phone line. I need to connect daughters desktop computer in Bedroom 1 by using this wireless g pci adapter i guess, model number wmp54g and then in bedroom 2 i need to wireless connect my daughters new netbook in which the guy at the store said it comes with something called Atheros AR9285 Wirelss Network Do you need more info.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Ah, I think I'm seeing a little more clearly now.

You have one computer connected by ethernet cable to the wrt5462 router and getting internet access now, right?

If you haven't already done so (using a setup wizard or whatever) login to the router and set the wireless SSID (network name) to something other than the default (in case your neighbor happens to have the same brand router).

Then for each of the other computers see if you can detect that network with the SSID you just assigned, and connect to it. If not, tell us the operating system on it and what goes wrong.

If you are successful on connecting both, then using the cable connected computer enable WPA(2)-PSK encryption on the router to keep freeloaders off. Then again connect each of the wireless computers, giving the same passphrase you used on the router.

EDIT: If you need details on the router login or configuration there will be a user manual on the CD that came with the router.

You will probably not need that separate wireless access point, as the wireless router includes a built in wireless access point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am noticing my LAN is connect and my Gateway Connection is connected. What is that? Why don't I see a wireless connection there under my Network Connections. And how do I login to my router to set up the SSID

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I am noticing my LAN is connect and my Gateway Connection is connected. What is that?

Local Area Network (LAN) is your ethernet cable connection. "Gateway Connection" can pretty much be ignored.

Why don't I see a wireless connection there under my Network Connections.
Because this computer does not have a wireless adapter installed?

And how do I login to my router to set up the SSID
In general you type the router's IP address (usually 192.168.1.1 for Linksys) into your browser's address bar and enter the default (unless you've changed it) user/password.

Did you find a user manual on the CD? Or on Linksys's web site?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.