Tech Support Guy banner

Help please

1447 Views 16 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Triple6
Currently I have received a generous offer from my uncle saying he is willing to purchase the rest of the computer parts that I need.

I need:

Motherboard (Intel socket)
Ram
DVD Drives
Fans
PSU with more connections (SATA)

So yes. My QUESTIONS:

1) I want to run a basic server. Should I use a regular Intel Quad Core Q6600 (What I own right now) to run the server or use a Xeon CPU which is more based for servers?
2) If ok to use Q6600 then what board is recommended?
3) How much memory and what speed should I slap on?
4) What version of 2003 should I run? (I have access to all of them legit and free) 32bit or 64bit?
5) What PSU will have more than 6 SATA connectors? Should I just use the Adapter for the ones that wouldn't require them such as the DVD Sata Drives?
6) How many Watts would I have to consider for a computer such as the one I want?

If not use the Q6600 then:

1) Which Xeon is best to consider? Dual Core or Quad Core?
2) Board to consider for the CPU
Questions 3-6 are the same.

I am limited on time because my uncle wants to buy me this stuff on Monday. Please remember that I am in Canada so the only places reachable by Car that sell things are:

Tiger Direct
Canada Computers

Sites to consider if I need to buy the parts online:

NCIX and any other trust worthy Canadian site.

All help is appreciated. Thank you in advance to those who take their time in helping me.

Skullz
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
You left out the purpose of the server, a simple file/media server doesn't need a Quad core processor.
The server will be used to set up a small network. Yea I know the quad core is a lot but it is the only CPU I currently own.
Small network to do what?

But if you own it and aren't using it then sure it'll do the job fine.
This small network I want to run is to be able to prep myself for my server course coming. I want to be able to do scheduled back ups, connected computer through the network, limit rights enabling quota on the network and things like that. Learn how to make it secure. Did I cover everything you were looking for in my answer?
Kind of, I guess. Are you planning on using actual server hardware, or just mainstream hardware?

True server mainboards, cases, PSU's, etc are considerably more then home hardware, for example: http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=271&name=Servers (I know its not Canadian but the site is better laid out).

Also do you want a tower or a rack mountable system? Redundant power supplies, RAID, what type of backup and for what capacity?

But if you're looking to just learn the software then almost any old box that meets the minimum requirements or Windows Server 2003 will do. Small Business Server is a version you may wish to look at as it has many of the components included with it such as SQL Server and Exchange.
Well I don't want to make my uncle spend much so I guess the mainstream hardware.

I would prefer a tower over the rack mount systems (not interested in those yet). What did you mean by redundant PSU? Raid yes I want to do Raid. Put maybe 3-4 hard drives together under Raid. Back up would be movies, computer imaging, documents, pictures etc..

I am not sure If I can get my hand on the business server but I will check into that.

Thanks for your input this far. I appreciate it.
Ok, so pick up a cheap server board.

Something like this: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&l1=9&l2=39&l3=352&l4=0&model=1922
The nice thing about that board is that it does support your Q6600 processor, has integrated video, and supports RAID-5 so you don't need to speed the extra money on a separate card. Now you may still want to buy a separate RAID controller, for an office or business server you'd generally want to use one as they are more reliable and you can transfer the hard drives with the card to another system if need be but for a home experiment its up to you.
Here's the full list of boards that you can choose from: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=352&l4=0&model=1999&modelmenu=2

You need at least 3 hard drives for RAID-5. To keep costs reasonable use SATA 3GB/s drives from Hitachi, Western Digital, or Seagate.

4GB's of of 667Mhz DDR2 should be adequate.

Redundant power supplies means that there are two power supplies, if one fails the other one automatically keeps the system going.
See less See more
Alright it is making sense. Now the case shouldn't matter right?

I had this picked out already:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011512&cid=CS.664

Or do I have to go for something like this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014118&cid=CS.220

Btw since you said 4GB of Ram, wouldn't it be hard if I had to run Firefox on that server as the browser or there is a 64 bit version of it?
No, you don't have to get something as fancy as the Antec. It is a nicer and better built case though.

Firefox should run no problem, I'd definitely use the 32 bit version.
Now I just want to get things clarified:

1) Since Windows 32bit won't utilize 4GB of ram only 3, Wouldn't it just make more sense to run a 32bit with 3Gb of ram?
2) I was told that the 64bit version is better because it is faster. What would cause me to consider 32bit instead?
3) Now since a regular chasis is fine, how big of a PSU would be required to run the server? I currently have a 600W at home still unopened.
4) Xeon CPU being sold now or recently are socket 775 right? If it says 771 does that mean it wouldn't be compatible with server boards that are 775 socket or it just depends on the board manufacturer?
5) If the server board has integrated graphics, better to look for a non integrated or stick with the integrated? Will it make a difference with a dedicated?

Thanks for taking the time in asking my questions this far.
1. Sure you can do that, but its easier to buy a set of 2 x 2GB sticks - two sticks in dual channel versus a mismatched set of 3GB. But sure you can get 3GB as well. Most systems show about 3.25Gb of RAM.
2. You have better compatibility with 32 bit. More applications support 32 bit or are only available in 32 bit. Drivers for 64 bit are sometimes harder to find. And 64 bit isn't much faster the 32 bit.
3. I think 600 watt should be fine. The drives are going to be drawing the most power. For a desktop system its usually the video card that raises the requirement, in a server that shouldn't be an issue. Here's a site with a PSU calculator: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
4. For a 771 CPU you'd need the right 771 motherboard.
5. Integrated graphics is fine for a server, actually it simplies things.
What is a recommended brand name for server boards?
Can a server with 3 admin accounts (2 for administrative purposes[default by admin and the one that gets created] and 1 for regular activities) have them logged out but still maintain the purposes set out for it to do?

An example would be where I am under the power users and I install programs. If the admin account under the admin group sets the rights, will those rights still be there when I log out?
Update: Found a site that has an server board for about 300 bucks. I am confused, the site says 775 but the specs are saying 771. So which is it?

Asus DSBF-DE Dual is the model of the board.

Site: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018034&cid=MB.862
Its 771.

Users maintain their rights whether logged in or not, not sure what you're asking.
Oh ok. Recommended brand name for boards?
Intel, SuperMicro, Tyan, and Asus are about the only one`s I`m familar with and would recommend.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.