Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built this system a couple of weeks ago--
Intel 815EEA2L MB; Pentium 3 800; 256MB SDRAM PC133; IBM 40GB 7200 HDD; Toshiba combo DVD/CDROM SD-M1502; Plextor 16x10x40 CD Burner; SB Live Value 5.1 Sound; ATI Radeon VE 32MB TV/out Video; 56K modem; Win98SE; Norton Anti-virus. When I built the system I had nothing but trouble when I installed the Plextor "Tools" so I checked it out and everyone said that I really did not need this software so I took it off and did not install it. I also started having problems with the Norton System Works so I ended up only putting on the Anti-virus. The system tested fine and ran fine for a couple of weeks. I got a call Friday that they could not burn a CD. I went over and worked on it--put a CD in the Toshiba drive and tried to copy it to the Plextor (this has been working fine til now--they have done many times) when you pull up the Plextor software--called Roxio and hit test and copy it runs the test and then freezes the system. Tried many different CDs all with the same result. Pretty soon the system starts freezing just by clicking on the Roxio icon--brings up the start screen and then freezes up. Tried putting an audio CD in the Toshiba drive (which has been playing them fine til now) it shows that the CD is playing but there is no sound. Tried an audio CD in the Plextor and it clicks off to about 3 on the CD player counter and then stops. I ran a test on the CD drives and it came up with a message that "DMA may not be enabled" on both the CD drives. I do not know what that means--can anyone help with that and would that have anything to do with the problems that we are having?? I did try reinstalling Win98 but no help there. When I try to play an audio CD the drive makes a whirring sound that goes up and down like it is spinning up and down. Any ideas--!?!?!?
:(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Setting tab--Options
Disconnect -- checked
Auto insert notification -- checked
Removeable -- not checked
Int 13 unit -- not checked
No DMA option

On my computer the DMA box is under the Int13 unit but on this one there is none.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Hmmmm, strange, I'm wondering about the bios setup then.....I can't say for certain that I've seen a choice for DMA there, take a look, I'll take a look at mine as well......

Also on your ide controllers in the same area (device manager) is anything showing up with yellow exclamation marks?

Under the third one, are you using default options or enabling both ide channels?

Also, just ran across this info:

In the BIOS locate the settings for PIO mode. Try it on settings Auto or 5, if they are available, or 4 if not. If you have UDMA settings, set them to Auto, or Enabled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.