Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently downloaded some files ina rar. when i unpacked them and tried to click the exe file...the computer restarted. actually with one single click the screen went completely black and started booting up from bios. this cant be a windows error can it? it wasnt the file because i tried downloading some others and all the exes do it. has anyone heard of this? could it be my motherboard or hardrive or powersupply shutting off. please help me...because there is not log or info of anykind this is the only way i can get help. thanks...greg

·
Registered
385 Posts
if the restore doesn't help you out you may have to remove the file, BUT if it is not in a folder and just the icon by itself it could be tricky.
First if you have any anti virus software scan that file.
or if you don't go here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
do the online scan.
if you can't click on it see if you can't make a block around the icon by clicking off the icon and dragging your mouse around it then delete.
What was the program you Unrared?
Safe source?
Hope this helps
Peter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think you guys are understanding...i downloaded two completely different files from trusted sites. the file is not the problem. just when i click any exe i download the above happens.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If you turn off the auto-restart, you should get a BSOD instead of a restart and the BSOD might give you some information to help diagnose the problem.

To turn off auto restart, right click on My Computer, go to Properties and in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the Settings button. Uncheck "Automatically restart," click OK and OK again.

If you get the BSOD when you click on a downloaded exe file, see if it points at a particular file or process as the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.