Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help On Network Problem

2K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Scorpion 
#1 ·
Just posted a reply and been fiddling around, the pc and laptop seem to be recognising each other, both have little icons bottom right showing network connection excellent. Now my next problem is why is the laptop unable to access the internet. I am with NTL broadband and this setup is with an internal setup in the back of my pc. I hope I have set up the wires correctly e.g. main ntl cable from ntl settop box into main router connection, then the blue cable into pc and number 1 in router.
This is driving me mad please help....... venusgirl

#4 ·
Ok, when you posted this in your other post....

venusgirl said:
Hi, I am trying to setup my pc to laptop via router, the problem is i am using a netgear 108 mbps wireless router, using windows xp both on pc and laptop. I have used the software and laptop is saying it has found network connection (bottom right of laptop its says acquiring network address. On the pc there is no connection when i click on icon bottom right there is an x saying not connected when i click on this windows box comes up saying choose a wireless network - windows cannot configure this wireless connection. I have used netgear software to try and connect i.e. netgear software wizard but nothing happening. The main reason for buying laptop is to use for internet access but no success.

...had the PC (not laptop) ever been able to connect to the internet through the router? Or is this the first time you have used the router for both connections?

Scorp.

#5 ·
Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

#7 ·
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Diane>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FAMILY
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-6A-42-03-E5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 December 2006 11:44:38
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 30 December 2006 01:46:53

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 32-6C-54-EA-E7-3B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Diane>

#8 ·
So it's working? I see a Network Bridge that probably should be uninstalled in Network Properties, but you do seem to be getting an IP address. :)

#10 ·
Ok, from the LAPTOP, click Start>Run, type in cmd and press enter. In the window that opens, at the prompt type 'ping 192.168.1.1' without the quotes, and press enter. If the path is working ok, you should see 'Reply from < IP address >: bytes=32 time=NN ms TTL=xxx'.
If the path is not working, you see this message: 'Request timed out'

If that works, and you get the 'reply from..', then try to ping a remote location. In the same window, type 'ping www.yahoo.com' (again, no quotes) and see if you get a reply.

Let us know the results.

Scorp.

#11 ·
sorry for taking to get back. I have been disconnected from internet, I think it was to do with netgear, so had to contact ntlworld.

I have tried the ping on the laptop - message...... destination host unreachable

thanks for being patient...... cos mine is running low

venusgirl

#12 ·
just another point, how do i know that they are networking, although there is icons showing connection is there a test that I can do to maybe file share to show that laptop can communicate with pc. Sorry to be vague, I am ok with pc but never used network before so any help would be grateful

venusgirl

#13 ·
Hmmmmmmm.....

Ok, best for the moment is to go through the manual and check all the settings first, then let us know if everything is ok. For instance, if you have enabled WEP security for the wireless side, but not enabled it on the laptop, it wont work. You'll need to read and set up both laptop and router with the correct 'keys' etc to use that option....so go in, and set it to 'disabled' for now. WARNING...SETTING IT TO DISABLED MEANS ANYONE WITHIN RANGE CAN USE YOUR INTERNET ACCESS POINT (ROUTER) TO ACCESS THE INTERNET, AND POSSIBLY YOUR OTHER LAN PC'S!! There, disclaimer in place...lol

Go through the steps and check everything, then get back to us.

Scorp.

#14 ·
here is some more info, tried running the netgear software on laptop but it saying no internet connection, also I have the netgear router (green tv icon bottom right on pc, but not on laptop), also after trying to install the software message appears..... the network adaptor in laptop is not working. Maybe this needs some care and attention, but me, i am all done with computers, never had it so tuff, Its givin me a bangin head, but i am gonna persevere to the end......of course with your help....pleeze

a very confused venusgirl

#15 ·
sorry some more info, just opened up the network adaptors on laptop there is two showing up, intel pro/wireless network connection and realtek family faster ethernet. I have clicked on the pro wireless one and it comes up with choices, ie ad hoc channel etc. do i need to do anything to either one of these adaptors. cheers venus

#16 ·
Yes...as stated above, you would need to configure it to use the router 'channel' for connection...read through the 'wireless' part of the laptop manual, and also the 'wireless' part of the router manual....

I think 'ad hoc' means connect to any available channel...so you could try that one, yes.

Scorp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.