Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I've got:

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Duron XP, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
Motherboard Name ASRock K7VM2 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

I can upgrade to an AMD 333 I think - but I'm thinking of going for a new board.

The main question I have is I'm using pc2100 Ram and I notice the newer ones are using faster ram. Would I be able to get away with using my existing ram?

Also I'm using oem xp home. Will I have to get a new copy because of a large hardware change?

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
46,541 Posts
Most modern boards allow you to run ram asynchronously that is at a speed different from the fsb speed. While this is possible, you will suffer some performance drop due to the slow ram speed. Ram is so cheap today, there really is no need to do this. I just saw a 1 gig dual channel kit on newegg for around $80.

If your xp cd is a real MS full version cd [not a recovery cd] you should be fine using it. You MAY have to activate it via the phone instead of over the net.

If you get a new board, stay away from asrock. They are designed by asus, however the actual mfg is done by ecs. Good mb brands for an amd build are asus, abit, or soltek. If you go intel, use an intel board unless you want to OC, then go with an asus.board.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crjdriver said:
If your xp cd is a real MS full version cd [not a recovery cd] you should be fine using it. You MAY have to activate it via the phone instead of over the net.
I have the original oem disc - is that what you mean?

·
Super Moderator
46,541 Posts
The reason is twofold.

1 A recovery disk will not install to a new system because it [generally] does a bios check. If it does not find the hardware it expects, it does not install.

2 It is not legal to use a recovery disk to install on another system. The eula states that the os is tied to the hardware; specifically the motherboard. Since it would not install anyway [without some hacking] this really is not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
46,541 Posts
That is fine. You will not have a problem swapping mb, etc. As I posted you MAY need to activate over the phone. Since it was activated with different hardware before, the activation process may or may not work over the net. This is not a big deal you just call ms on the 800 number and they give you a new activation code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.