Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to fix this for a friend. the hard drive went on him and he got a new one but when i try to put XP pro on it. it says can't find the hard drive i know i need to format it but can't for the life of me work out how to do it. when i run the compaq diagnostic tool in the bios it does find the hard drive and says it's ok. i only have a XP pro cd, no drivers for the laptop. can anyone help. thanks neil

·
Super Moderator
46,572 Posts
Most likely you need to load mass storage driver ie sata driver during setup.

Are you attempting to load a regular MS install disk or is this a recovery type disk that came with the laptop?

·
Super Moderator
46,572 Posts
Just checked and yes there is a sata install driver. Here is the link driver link it is about 2/3 of the way down the page. You will need to put this driver on a floppy since xp will not load drivers from anywhere except a floppy drive. If you were installing vista, then you could use a flash drive, CD, etc.

Since most laptops do not have a floppy drive, your only options would be as follows;
1 Slipstream the drivers into a custom install disk.
2 Use a usb type floppy drive.
3 Install vista.

·
Super Moderator
46,572 Posts
BTW compaq/hp will sell you the recovery disks for your laptop. They are not free however this may be a better way to go. If this laptop had vista on it originally, it may work better with vista.

·
Super Moderator
46,572 Posts
One other note, make sure there are xp drivers for ALL of the laptops hardware before you start this task. If there is no lan driver, video driver or other type driver, then it is a waste of time attempting to install xp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for your help. i'm a bit new to this as you can tell. but i can boot from cd in the bios would that not work for the sata driver from compaq that you sent me the link for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.