Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Im not sure if this is a hardware problem.
But my laptop got stolen recently and i heard that you could retrieve the ip-address (if the person who's stolen it goes online w/ it) of the person.
That is...IF u have ur Mac Address...

Now i never thought my laptop would get stolen..and ive never heard of a MAC address up until 2day.
Is there any other way to get my MAC address?

·
Retired Moderator
16,301 Posts
Some manufacturers offer recovery insurance at the time of purchase (sometimes bundled with other offers) Dell and IBM are known for that.

As for finding out your MAC after the fact...don't know about that. It may be (thought doubtful) on the original paperwork...or perhaps a test-printed page.

Sorry :(

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yes very doubtful you can get it from the paperwork, If you are the original owner then it may be possible to contact the manufacture but then that may be a hassles as well.

Although they say you can track it, a smart crook can change the mac address but 99% of crooks arent that smart, that's why they are crooks in the first place.

Sorry to hear that it was stolen, I also been threw a similar incident and well it just sucks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey
Thanx for your replies.
I got the laptop through a supplier from school.
Ive sent an email to the supplier. I hope they wrote it down somewhere.
If not..well...ya...
btw. schusterjo : i don't think they're smart crooks, just some neighbourhood-punks...
I dunno...i just hope they're not that smart:p

anyway thanx again.
Ill keep u posted 'bout what the supplier said (good or bad)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.