Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... This is for my sister in law and I need just some basic ideas here... She has Xp on both her desktop and laptop, she has comcast internet and a Netgear (milemax) router. The cable guy says since her desktop is connect to the internet and her laptop is NOT she needs to reprogram her router, so he did it and it worked, she shut it down, and when she starts it back up it is back to the same thing, the desktop works but the laptop cannot connect. So my husband rewired it and cycled the modem and did just what the directions said to do and it worked! Woo Hoo!!, they were both working great we went to different sites and it was working great, she shut down and when she rebooted it the laptop would work but the desktop wouldn't. So,... she redid it all like she was told to do and now the desktop is back working but the laptop won't. So, what gives? Why does it work for a few five-ten minutes then goes to poop again? (technical I know...:D ).... So... any ideas? I live over an hour from her and can't get there to do it all, so its basically just give me some ideas that I can pass on to her and she is just as computer literate as the bats outside. So... help please.
I do know that she runs 2.6 ghz, with little on it ( programming wise) and its an XP, ... both systems are Dells. She has Norton and comcast running, but I think one is disabled though I doubt that has little to do with it....

Thanks in advance...

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Are this wired or wireless?

I don't understand "Comcast running", there is nothing Comcast supplies that you need running. Also, she might disable the Norton to see if that helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh sorry... Comcast running, comcast has their own anti-virus, I thought it may be a conflict with the Norton but I am not sure.

The desktop is wired through cable modem and the router. But the laptop is the wireless one, (as I was told), I only looked at it for few moments. But all the lights blink and all like they are suppose to , but its confusing that only one will work. One works then if she shuts it down and recycles it all the opposite is the only one working.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
OK, I think I get it.

Look at how you have the modem connected, it should be connected to the WAN/Internet port, NOT one of the four LAN/Network ports.

Power everything down.

Connect the modem correctly.

Power up the modem, wait until it gets a steady connect light.

Power up the router, wait two minutes.

Boot the machines, they both should connect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.