Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just purchased a nvidia geforce fx 5500 graphic card i have install the card in to the pci slot an install the driver and software that comes with it which to my know how is all working correct. the next step i take is to go in to the control panel and in to display (oh by the way i am running xp sp2 on a intel celeron 2.4 hz 960 mb ram with a 420w power supply) and go in to settings where it shows me the 2 display devices one is the graf card which is a sis 650 which is on the mother board and the other on is the fx 5500. the next step is that select the fx 5500 and i extend my window desktop onto this monitor and use this device as the primary monitor then i select the sis 650 card and and unselect the two options then reselect th fx card and apply then the screen goes back with a flashing cursor at the top, i remove the monitor lead and put it in to the new g/c pci slot and it comes up with a large discolored picture of my desktop. the mouse pointer can shoot right of to the to the right like theres another screen there and when right click to do properties it does not show them on the screen. and that is my story i have been at this two days and have looked lots of sites for help but nothing seems to work please please help.
many thanks

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Is there an option in the BIOS to disable the onboard video or to set its shared memory size to 0 or disabled?

Also you should power the computer off and connect the monitor to the new video card, you should not connect the monitor to the onboard video or the computer will think thats you want to use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i went in to the cmos and the pci settings where set for the agp slot so i changed them for pci and it worked i think its like the setting for which drive you want to boot from i.e cd rom or hard drive it was the init disply first cange it from agp to pci does thank make any more sence

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.