Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have A pre Installed version of Windows Xp home Edition, I restarted my computer the other day and now when I try to open any Programs I get the command prompt error box " Program to big too fit memory"

I can't run AIM,Windows Media player, Itunes, or anything! To fix this problem I figured I would Reinstall Windows.. I have The alot of C:\i386 folders but none of them contain winnt32.exe or winnt.exe to reinstall?
I have do have the serial number for the windows xp on the computer?

But considering I can't run any programs what should i do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok i had this problem a few days ago go to widows folder then system32 (windows/system32) and deletle dsot.exe then you should be good

you may need to download a exe registy fix after that if you get a messages like windows cant find file assocation

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
codystudios: It is not a good idea to blindly recommend deleting something, especially without any backing proof. You can be suspended or removed from the forums for it. Just a word of warning.

You'd have to have a LOT of programs (or some fairly big ones) running at the same time to run out of memory.

Some specifications to your computer (Model, processor speed, RAM, hard drive size) would be beneficial at this point.

It is probably not required to reinstall Windows at this point, until we can work out where your problem lies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
no, like i said i had this problem a few days ago. I read off this site somewhere to just go into system32 and deletle desot (it might not have exe after it depending if or how your computer is set up in control panel) and then if you have a problem with file assosciation then you need to go to google and search for a exe registry fix

also you can just live with it the hard way by
right click desktop then pick new then text document then right click on the text document and choose open with then hit browse then pick what ever program you wish to open and it should work

also internet explorer might be working or at least mine was

i do not belive it has anything to do with your memory most likly it is caused by a virus infection

and as for you TECHKID if you would take the time to look at this post you would have realized that in tags it says windows xp home edition and yes thats not every thing but you should assume the computers aspects by at least the minium requrirment to install xp home

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yes, but merely knowing the minimum requirements doesn't mean we know what sort of computer that Tracy88 is running.

It is better to know what sort of system they are running, so we can tell whether the problem is not enough RAM, or they're running Photoshop, Adobe Flash and AutoCAD simultaneously, or whether the problem is more serious, like malware/bloatware.

Guessing doesn't help at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.