Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know of a program that would let me remove the current name of files in a folder and replace the original filename with a number that represents how many files there are (goes up by one for each file). What's an app I can use that'll do this and how do I do this using that app?

Thanks in advance,

HexStar

·
Premium Member
52,999 Posts
Well, I'm sure if this is what you want but you can kind of do this with XP already. If you select mulitple files you can rename them all at once. Here's how it works - The first file gets whatever name you give it - lets say FILE, the second one will have that same name followed by (1)- FILE(1) , the third will have the same name but have (2) - FILE(2). If you add more files to the folder name the first new file to the next file in the previous order - in this case FILE(3) and the fifth will become FILE(4).

I don't quite think thats what you want but it may be useful too.

Here's something that works similarly: http://www.mediachance.com/free/renamer.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but I'd really like an app that just removes the current filename and replaces it with an incrementing number.

Thanks though,

HexStar

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan O! This looks exactly like what I wanted thanks again! Also, thanks to everyone else who tried to help. I really appreciated all you guys's help.:)

Thanks,

HexStar

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
If you already have IrfanView, it will let you do exactly what you want and more.

Open it, go to File, Batch Conversion/Rename, select all the files you want to rename from the right pane and select Add or Add All if you want to do them all.

Near the bottom, select Batch rename and then click on Set rename options. You can select the name pattern and the number you want to start at, and then either copy the new files to a different directory, move them to a new directory, or rename them in place.

good luck

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
I have tried it, and if you select the the Batch rename Radio button instead of the one it is defaulted on (Batch Conversion) it will only rename.

i found this out only after I, too, was looking for something that would rename in a specific ormat I wanted.

irfanView keeps surprising me, even after using it for 2+ years!;):D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kewl, I'll have to try that out! (I thought IfranView was only for images).

HexStar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.