Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept getting a ! on a driver for soundblaster so I went to driver info and found it. Well everytime I restarted windows it came on again so I went to windows system and put a folder with that name and a file by that name in the recycle bin. Well when I went to RESTART it says it can't without that file and I have to redo WINDOWs. I have windows 98SE and the folder which I think was the problem (not sure) but the FILE should have stayed, (I think). Anyway the name of the folder is C:\\Windows\system\VMM32.VXD, The file the same except maybe .vxd. What do I do it says windows can't run without it. I tried safe mode but no dice there either. I think I have a boot disk, OHHHHHHHHHHHHMAN, HELP! Cheryl

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH I forgot it says when restarting
VMM32.VXD is required to run windows, IF this file is not in your PATH:? you may need to reinstall windows. Cheryl
If there any way to get it out of my recycle bin?

· Banned
2,771 Posts
First, it sounds like you have to uninstall and reinstall your sound card. If you don't know how to do that tell us and we can help you.

Second I would highly recommend you get something like McAfee Uninstaller or visit CNET webpage and search for uninstallers. They can help you in situations like this to uninstall bad installations.

I would also recommend you get something like Norton GoBAck. It can roll back bad installations or computer mistakes so that situations like this can be easily repaired. VMM32 is a windows system file and is necessary to start win98.

To get you computer started up again restart your computer while taping or holding down the F8 key and when it comes to a menu select "command prompt only"

When it gets to the command prompt type this:

C:\RES "C:\recycled\VMM32.VXD" or
C:\RESTORE C:\recycled\vmm32.vxd or if that doesn't work you can restore all the files in the recycle bin with:

C:\RESTORE C:\recycled*.* /S

IF that doesn't work try reinstalling Windows. Then it'll work. :D

Good Luck,
HULK!~ ;)

· Banned
2,771 Posts
PS> IF you need to reinstall Win98 from the boot disk be sure you select "enable cdrom support" and install it to "Other" and then C:\Windows

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH HULK just found your reply it didn't come in email. I WILL TRY once ON windows I will be FINE I THINK. Will let you know if this works if it does I LOVE YOU! Cheryl

· Banned
2,771 Posts
Cherylm said:
HULK I keep getting a BAD COMMAND and it won't do it. HELP there is NO OTHER WAY TO GET TO IT? Cheryl
Hi Cheryl,

Try this:

At the C:\prompt type:

RESTORE C:\RECYCLED\*.* /S

You can also insert the CDROM disk into the CDROM and from the C:\ type:

RESTORE D: C:\Windows\System\VMM32.dll

This assumes D is the letter of your CDROM. Make sure CDROM Support is enabled when you boot to DOS.

Love You TOO!

HULK:up:

PS> The RES or RESTORE command only works if there's something to restore. If you deleted vmm32.dll and emptied the recycle bin that means that vmm32.dll is no longer there to restore. If that's the case you need to reinstall Windows from DOS.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I broke down and took my computer to a tech here. SIGH. I tried HULK but the prompts didn't work. He couldn't get through the back door either in anyway. The file WAS in the recycle bin but couldn't get to it. I would love to know how he did this as no one else I called stated that they COULD do this. He simply reinstalled windows over top of windows somehow and everything on hard drive was PERFECT! I would love to know how to do this for my next STUPID mistake laughingggggggg. Thanks tho, Cheryl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.