Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running WXP Home, SP2 on a desktop.

Recently I found System Restore not working. It would neither restore to an earlier time nor create a new restore point. I tried doing a virus scan using Avast, rebooting, checking that it is (supposed to be) running and safe mode.

Disconnecting from the Internet and turning off antivirus and firewall also made no difference.

I also turned it off and on again. I noticed that initially it said it was monitoring drives C, D & E but after turning on again it only showed drives C & D. These drives are all partitions on my HD.

On checking E I found that it had no file system and was advised to format it. On attempting this I got “Format did not complete successfully”.

I also attempted to Defrag and got “Disk Defragmenter could not start.”

Does anyone know what is going on and how to correct it?

Best, Peter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am hoping that your operating system is still working. I never had very much of a great result with system restore. I think I had got it to work twice. Are you just trying to get it to work or do you have to have roll back to a earlier date?

I usually use MyDefrag to do my defrag. Do you have three hard drives or three partitions? Are you trying to format through window disk management?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.