Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the fan on the cpu always be running upon start up, because mine isn't I have tried connecting the fan to alt. power and it just jerks a bit but no spin. Is my fan bad and now my processor bad? It is an older computer w/a pent 2 mmx processor slot 1. Thanks RayW

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Probably a bad fan. Does the fan move easily if you move it with your finger?

The fan should be cheap to replace, you just need to find out the dimensions of the fan and buy a new one.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Your CPU should be fine, a Pentium II doesnt put out nearly as much heat as a new P4/Celeron. It would take a lot more than a slightly defective fan to fry it.

Intels don't fry easily, I watched a video of a test between AMD and Intel if the heatsink were to suddenly fall off. A P4/P3 vs two AMD's. The AMD's fried, while the P4/P3 lived to see another day

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
norton850 said:
Whew!
Lets hope the newer AMD based boards have got the shut down circuits right.
Actually the new amd64s [939 pin .09] run very cool. I just built a pair for some friends. They run around 32C to 35C. I was quite surprised to see such low temps with the stock amd heatsinks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.