Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a laptop but i take out the 2.5 inch ide hdd out but when i put pata cable on it to put it into my desktop it doesnt fit so i buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ters+and+gender+changers-_-KINAMAX-_-12203012

i want to do this to back up data on laptop to desktop as laptop hdd doesnt boot. so i want to access 2.5 inch hdd from my desktop (viewing it like an external hdd)

to make it bigger to put 3.5inch pata cable to my desktop mobo.
i havent ordered that adapter yet but i know that it would work if i connected it to my ide port on my mobo but....

HOW THE [filtered] DO I CHANGE THE JUMPER TO SLAVE? there is not label on the hdd that tells me which pin to block?

or i dont have to change jumper?

the 2.inch hdd: hitachi hts541080g9at00

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how would i obtain jumper pins for 2.5 inch ide hdd's?
or do 3.5 inch hdd ide jumper pins also work on 2.5inch ide hdds?
the article helped i just dont have jumper pins, as that hdd was the only one in the laptop (master) so no jumper pins were to be found.

or do i put the jumper pins on the 3.5 inch side of the adapter after i connect it to the hard drive?

or are pins universal in hard drive connection methods?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true..
i am spending more money on it
however it its feature outweighs the simple price of 25 dollars
but my computer has an ide port
i will consider it later

on the pata cable how do i determine which end of the cable goes to the mother board ide socket?

· Gone but Never Forgotten
17,966 Posts
Usually one end of cable has a colored (blue or black) connector. Or, there are two connectors fairly close to each other- and one single connector on the other end. Single (or colored) end goes to m-board.

Master drive is positioned at the end connector, not in the middle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.