Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm running XP home with a raid 1+0 and installing to Home works just fine. I can format and re-do my old XP home no problem at all. The problem appears when I try to upgrade to XP Pro or anything above my current version (Being XP Home) I should also mention this is the older version of home before SP2 was integrated... not sure if that matters, the updates give you now up to SP3 but figured I should include that information.

Anyways, to give detail... doing a boot install with home, press F6... add my raid from the floppy disk for drivers and continue down the line. At the end... i should reach 1 large drive made up of 4 80Gig drives totaling around 310Gigs plus or minus. Works fine... no problems, I delete the old XP info, format and re-install good ol' home.

When trying to upgrade with anything outside of this XP home... such as going to pro, doesn't matter 32 or 64 version... I follow the proper steps as above, add my drivers, windows says that the supported drivers are newer in the install... I still use the drivers from the floppy (tried doing it with the windows supplied and the floppy drivers) it always shows 4 separate drives when reaching the final screen to delete/install new OS rather than 1 large drive.

How come on Home it works just fine? I follow the procedure, no problems... but when I try to chage OS to XP Pro it causes this situation where it shows 4 80 gig splits rather than 1 large drive? I can't seem to figure this out... and no one has given me a straight answer on the subject that was worthy of "testing". I've even collapsed and rebuilt my raid trying to figure this out on a previous format... still had to go back to XP Home :p didn't matter what I did.

Now what factors could cause this? Why is there such an issue going from Xp Home to Xp Pro with this raid? Details are below and thanks guys! :)

==========================================================

I should also mention this is IDE with a PCI raid card from SiLabs

This is the section

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/downloadresults.aspx?pid=31&bios=0&drivers=1&sataraid=0&

And this is the driver

1/24/2005 1.0.1.7 139 KB
Silicon Image SiI 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA Raid Controller 05/31/2002, 1.0.1.7

"pnp680r.sys"

I don't want to give much further detail just yet just in case this question is terribly hard to answer for some reason. I haven't had much luck anywhere else so... to save you guys a huge mass of text to read... maybe I can see if this is useful first... and hopefully someone gets back to me with some advice. Then I will add further details to this subject :).

(basically I don't want you guys to have to read forever - for nothing :) )

My email is [email protected] ---> Please contact me if anyone has a solution or response to this so I can come back and review it! :) thanks again!

-Aaron.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Maybe it's your PRO disc?
What exactly does it say on the disc?
I have raid on one of my PC's and Have no problems installing, it is XP Pro and I have SP-2 slipstreamed for faster setup.
Is yours sp-1 or sp-2 or OEM, system builder version, update version?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.