Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 1079 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is receipe is for German Apple Pancakes. These are a favorite of mine.

http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/country_mt_recipe1.html

Recipes & Cookbooks : Pancakes | Fruit Dishes
German Apple Pancakes

German Apple Pancakes presented by Yellowstone Country Bed & Breakfast Email this page to a Friend

2 large pancakes serve 4 people

4 eggs
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 medium apples thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Place 2 round pans (I use pie plates) in oven which has been heated to 400 degrees.

Beat eggs, flour, milk and salt together for 1 minute.

Remove pans from oven. Place 2 tablespoons butter in each pan and rotate pans until butter is melted and coats sides of pans.

In each pan arrange half of apple slices, divide the batter evenly and pour over apple slices. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter in each pan.

Bake until puffed and golden brown - about 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy with sausage and syrup for breakfast or with ice cream or whipping cream for dessert.

Apple Kuchen

2-1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2-1/4 tsp. yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 large egg
3 cups sliced fresh cooking apples

Cinnamon Topping
2/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter or margarine

Cinnamon Topping:
In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup sugar, 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon. Cut in 2 tbsp. butter or margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt. Heat water milk, and butter until very warm (120 - 130 F). Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionaly. Add egg and 1 cup flour, beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Turn in greased 13 x 9 inch pan. arrange apple slices evenly over batter, sprinkle with Cinnamon Topping. Cover, let rise in warm, draft- free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until done.
 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/20438/

Sauerbraten (Sweet Sour Beef)

Categories: Beef, German
Yield: 6 servings
Rating: Rate this recipe
Reviews Review this recipe!

3 1/2 lb Bottom Round
2 c Wine Vinegar (heated)
2 c Water
1 1/2 ts Salt
2 tb parsley
1 ts Pepper
2 tb Sugar
1 Onion, sliced
1 Bay Leaf
3 tb butter
2 tb flour
2 tb Cold water
1 c Beef stock
6 Gingersnaps

Heat 2 cups water, and vinegar together until hot. Place meat in crock
covered with vinegar and water. [Do NOT use a metal pot!] Add salt,
parsley, pepper, sugar, and onion. Cover and refrigerate for 3 days,
turning daily. Drain marinade and reserve. Lightly flour meat. Brown well
in butter in kettle. Add onion slices and 3 cups marinade. Cover and simmer
until tender. Remove meat to a hot serving dish and keep warm. Skim fat off
liquid. Mix flour and water and stir into pan. Add stock,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
U.S. Flag Pizza
Sweet, Rich Crust Topped with Cream Cheese, Granola, Succulent Berries and Mini-marshmallows

Yield: makes One Patriotic Pizza

1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 envelope (1/4 ounce or 2 1/4 tsp) Fleischmann's RapidRise Yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Granola
Blueberries
sliced strawberries
Miniature marshmallows

Cream Cheese Topping:
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt. Heat water and butter until very warm (120 to 130 F). Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in vanilla and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

Roll dough to 12 x 10-inch rectangle; place on greased baking sheet. Prick surface of dough randomly with fork; let rest 10 minutes.

Bake at 425 F for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from sheet; cool on wire rack.

When completely cooled, spread Cream Cheese Topping onto crust to within 1/2-inch of edge; sprinkle with granola. Arrange fruits and marshmallows over top to resemble the U.S. flag. Serve promptly after topping. Refrigerate leftovers.

Cream Cheese Topping: In a small bowl, combine 1 (3-ounce) package softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Bacon wrapped Duck Filets, Filet your duck breast marinate them in Balsamic vinagrette overnite, place the filets on thick cooked wide cut bacon w/ red and green peppers, red onions, wrap the bacon around everything and skewer place on the grill untill the duck is browned, Duck must be served rare to med rare or might taste like liver............:cool:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barbeque Sauce

1 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup onion; finely chopped
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp. Paprika
1 tsp. brown sugar; packed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup Lemon juice
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce

Heat all ingredients except lemon juice and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Add lemon juice and worcestershire sauce and heat until hot. Makes about 2 cups.

Variations:
1 can tomato cause + 2 tbsp sugar
The chicken seems to produce enough of it's own fat.
1/2 tbsp. packed brown sugar.
Pour over skinned and cleaned chicken.
Cook in crockpot for about 6-8 hours on low. 4-6 hours on high.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Have you Deer roast sliced to an #18 (most butchers will know what you mean)
A flat marinating tray
1 or 2 bottles of Dale's Marinate (depends on how much meat you have, do it all at the same time)
1 cup bottle of Worcester sauce
1/4 cup Apple Vinegar
Now this depends on how hot you like it. for the average Joe a 12 oz bottle of Tabasco will do, I use a product from www.mohotta.com Called Spontaneous combustion I only use about 1 table spoon its rated at (35,000 sfu)

Mix all the product and bring to a boil stirring often, allow to cool. pour enough of the cooled marinate in the tray to cover the bottom place your sliced meat on the tray, now flip the meat and using a pepper grinder liberally pepper the meat, flip it again and re pepper the other side now pour in the rest of the marinate so its completely submerged, allow to set undisturbed over night in the fridge.
The next day place on you dehydrator and dehydrate on high overnight........your done enjoy.............:cool:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
contralto said:
b1jqxk44,

have you actually made the recipes that you have posted? :confused:
they sound great... but just wondering if you can vouch for the recipes based on personal experience. :)
The German Apple Pancakes, I make regularly in the Fall when I can buy apples cheap. The ownly different thing I do there is I use a frying pan to make the pancakes instead of putting them in the oven.

The Apple Kuchen, I also make but I have to say if you like your cake a little sweeter, don't use yeast, use baking power. A cake made with yeast can't have so much sugar, because sugar makes the dow heavy. And when the dow is to heavy it will no rise.

The Sauerbraten I have not made myself, but my mother has made it in Germany. I haven't tryed it because I don't know if I would like the flavor. But maybe there is someone that wants to try and can report back.

That particular Barbeque Sauce, I have not tried, but I have a Barbeque Sauce in one of my cookbooks that I use regularly. If anyone wants it I will post.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
b1jqxk44 said:
The German Apple Pancakes, I make regularly in the Fall when I can buy apples cheap. The ownly different thing I do there is I use a frying pan to make the pancakes instead of putting them in the oven.

The Apple Kuchen, I also make but I have to say if you like your cake a little sweeter, don't use yeast, use baking power. A cake made with yeast can't have so much sugar, because sugar makes the dow heavy. And when the dow is to heavy it will no rise.

The Sauerbraten I have not made myself, but my mother has made it in Germany. I haven't tryed it because I don't know if I would like the flavor. But maybe there is someone that wants to try and can report back.

That particular Barbeque Sauce, I have not tried, but I have a Barbeque Sauce in one of my cookbooks that I use regularly. If anyone wants it I will post.
b1jqxk44,

thanx! i was particularly interested in trying to make sauerbraten, and if i get industrious enough to try it, i will certainly post about it here :) .

the apple pancakes and apple kuchen sound really great :) . the recipe for apple kuchen says 'cooking apples'... the only cooking apple of which i am aware is 'rome' variety, yet i have not seen that variety in the stores lately. do you know what other varieties could be used? i am wondering if granny smith would work :confused: . what apple variety/varieties do you use in this recipe?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
contralto said:
b1jqxk44,

thanx! i was particularly interested in trying to make sauerbraten, and if i get industrious enough to try it, i will certainly post about it here :) .

the apple pancakes and apple kuchen sound really great :) . the recipe for apple kuchen says 'cooking apples'... the only cooking apple of which i am aware is 'rome' variety, yet i have not seen that variety in the stores lately. do you know what other varieties could be used? i am wondering if granny smith would work :confused: . what apple variety/varieties do you use in this recipe?
For apple kuchen, after the yeast dow has risen long enough, I just peeled apples, cut them in quarters, and just cut slices off until the cake was covered. You want to know what kind of apple I used, Cortland, Spy, or MacIntosh are fine. You want an apple that has soften when the cake is finished baking. Granny Smith Apples are good to, I have used them. If memory serves where a little a harder than the apples that I mentioned.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
contralto said:
b1jqxk44,

have you actually made the recipes that you have posted? :confused:
they sound great... but just wondering if you can vouch for the recipes based on personal experience. :)
Every year after Deer season I make a huge batch of the jerky. The Duck has been a thanksgiving tradition for many years in our house............. :cool:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even though salmon fillets can be expensive, this is an exellent recipe

Baked Salmon Fillets

2-4 garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup onions, minced or shallots
parsley (1 tbsp. fresh, minced or 1 tsp. dried)
salt (kosher or sea salt)
pepper
dill
olive oil
1 lb. salmon fillets

Lightly oil the bottom of a casserole dish just big enough to hold the fillets

Mix garlic, onion or shallot, parsley, salt and pepper to taste, and a dash of dill in a small bowl. Add enough olive oil just to moisten and bring it all together.

Spread the mixture all over the top of the salmon. Bake in a 350 degree oven until it's done to your liking -- it takes about half an hour for fairly well done, which is how we like it.

Serves 2-3 people
Note: I have used an electic frying pan.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,419 Posts
Yum, I love salmon.......think I'll try that recipe!!! I usually fry my flowered salmon first in olive oil, then bake for about 20 minutes.

We should link this thread to Foamer's thread about how to gain 40 pounds:)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright I give here is the Barbecue Sauce I use.

Light Barbecue sauce

1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
Drops Tabasco

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes. :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hungarian Goulash

1 tbsp. vegetable oil or bacon fat
1-1/2 lbs beef boneless chuck, tip or round roast or pork boneless shoulder, cut into 3/4-inch cubes.
1 cup beef broth
3 tbsp. paprika
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp.pepper
2 large onions, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (8 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained or
use frozen tomatoes from the freezer and for juice add tomato juice.
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp. flour

1. Cook meat in oil or bacon fat about 15 minutes, stir occasional.

2. Stir in remaining ingredients except flour and water. Heat boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender.

3. Shake water and flour in tightly covered container; gradually stir into meat mixture.
Heat to a boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve over noodles or rice.

Note: an eight ounce package of fresh mushrooms can be add.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
ok had to look up nickel city, sorry about those atlantic salmon that take all that stuff to mask their errrrr slightly less than perfect/normal flavor.

real simple and the only way to cook a delicious pacific king or silver salmon

soak an alder plank (ok cedar will do in a pinch, but the local indians (i'm a 1/4 blackfoot so don't start on that pc stuff with me please we've been there done that :( ), these can be purchased on the net if you don't have access to these species) in water for a few hours, rub the plank with olive oil, place skin side down on the plank, optionally you can lightly oil the non-skin side of the soon to be tasty morsal, spinkle lightly with fresh - if you have it - dill, place on medium heat grill (never tried this in the oven, since i BBQ all year round, but it can be done at 350) lower lid and leave it alone for 15-20 minutes. thats it!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
ok i'll even go along with halibut being a bit spendy but it's worth it

Halibut Caddy Gantry

Place 1 to 2 lbs halibut filet, steak or chunks in a bowl, lightly salt, pour enough drinkable (my note here I used hogue vineyards fume blanc about $10 and very drinkable won’t cook with anything I won’t drink) white wine to cover fish, cover for 2 hours, drain and pat fish as dry as you can, coat fish with fine bread crumbs – sourdough is wonderful with this dish – put fish into a lightly buttered baking dish, mix 2 parts sour cream, 1 part real mayo, 1 part diced onion, spread thickly over fish spreading to the edges, cover fish entirely, sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 500º for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly, serve at once.

Now the easy method just mix the sour cream, mayo, onion top the fish and bake

enjoy
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17,383 Posts
GINGER BEER (& Plant)


It is preferable to use a stone crock but any jar large enough to hold about 4 litres (2 gallons) will do.
Into the jar, put 1 small cup of warm water, 1 dessertspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 2 teaspoons of compressed yeast dissolved in a little warm water.
Let it all stand for 24 hours. This is the 'plant'. After 24 hours, mix 1 small cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 cut up lemon, without the white pith.
Add enough hot water to dissolve the sugar, add cold water to make luke warm, then pour onto the plant.
Fill the jar right up, and leave for another 24 hours, then strain & bottle. Cork tightly. We used to tie the corks down with string, but screw tops will be satisfactory if put on with a very firm hand.

Now make up another mixture the same as you did after the first 24 hours, and pour over the plant.
Never leave the plant without adding to it, for more than 24 hours.
If the plant gets too hot it may be divided or thrown out.
Never have more than 6mm (1/4") to 12mm (1/2") of plant in the jar.
Make sure you have plenty of thoroughly clean bottles before you start.

Store bottles in a cool safe place & use the oldest lot first if another batch is done, the bottles can explode if left for months & get too warm.
If you divide the plant you can give the other half to a friend.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ymfoster said:
GINGER BEER (& Plant)

It is preferable to use a stone crock but any jar large enough to hold about 4 litres (2 gallons) will do.
Into the jar, put 1 small cup of warm water, 1 dessertspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 2 teaspoons of compressed yeast dissolved in a little warm water.
Let it all stand for 24 hours. This is the 'plant'. After 24 hours, mix 1 small cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 cut up lemon, without the white pith.
Add enough hot water to dissolve the sugar, add cold water to make luke warm, then pour onto the plant.
Fill the jar right up, and leave for another 24 hours, then strain & bottle. Cork tightly. We used to tie the corks down with string, but screw tops will be satisfactory if put on with a very firm hand.

Now make up another mixture the same as you did after the first 24 hours, and pour over the plant.
Never leave the plant without adding to it, for more than 24 hours.
If the plant gets too hot it may be divided or thrown out.
Never have more than 6mm (1/4") to 12mm (1/2") of plant in the jar.
Make sure you have plenty of thoroughly clean bottles before you start.

Store bottles in a cool safe place & use the oldest lot first if another batch is done, the bottles can explode if left for months & get too warm.
If you divide the plant you can give the other half to a friend.
This is 'beer' what you are making right. A question, Don't you use a fermination valve on your container so oxygen doesn't get into the beer. You are useing sugar and yeast, this produces alcohol. If oxygen gets onto the beer then your brew will turn to vinegar.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seasoned Salt

1 cup salt
2 tsp. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. dried mustard
1-1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. onion pwder
1/2 tsp. celery seeds
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. turmeric
 
1 - 20 of 1079 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top