Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
86,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was running a scan with Ad-Aware in my HP N5495 laptop, it started making a "tick tock" sound. A blue screen than appears and advised that a problem had occurred and that Windows had been shut down to prevent further damage. The following lines were among the message:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x00000077, (0xC000000E, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x00F39000)

It then started doing a memory dump, but froze up at 39%.

I did a hard shutdown and then restarted. A black screen appeared with 2 lines of gibberish and a flashing cursor underneath.

I did another hard shutdown and restarted. Windows loaded normally this time, but as soon as I clicked the Start menu to select a program, everything froze up.

All subsequent hard shutdowns and restarts caused nothing but the gibberish and flashing cursor to appear.

Has the hard drive in my laptop finally gone south? :( :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a problem like this on an old system and it turned out to be the death throws of the drive, I let it cool down and managed to retreive the info.

Hope this helps.................

·
Trusted Advisor
86,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had this same problem occur a couple of weeks ago, but it's been running fine since then. I've even burned off several programs to CD-R's. It just started doing it again this morning. This laptop is a little over 3 years old, so it's probable that the hard drive has decided to retire. :(

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Normally, that sound is the Click Of Death for the hard disk. If it's working, I'd get everything of value off now. :)

·
Trusted Advisor
86,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Each time I start up now, a black screen appears and states that Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It then advises me to boot from the Windows XP CD and attempt a repair.

I change the BIOS boot order so that it would boot from the CD.

Once I boot from the CD and select the repair option, the following appears:

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?

1: C:\WINDOWS

After I type in 1 and press Enter, the following appears:

C:\WINDOWS>

I type in help to see the list of command options. I see nothing that tells me how to start the repair process. I type in chkdsk and press Enter. After a few seconds, it advises me that everything appears okay. From that point, I am lost, so I type in exit and press Enter and exit.

What now? :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.