Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am donating an old computer with Windows 95. Have financial data and want to erase all records so that cannot be recovered. Is there a way to do this or do I need a Utility?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If you use Format from a boot disk on the hard drive, it will make all data on the drive inaccessable to all but the most determined person. You can also go to the following link and download a program called Wipe from the section called Cleaners section. Format only ends the association of the written date to a particular pattern(file/directories) while Wipe will write "0"s to the entire drive making it less likely to have previous data recoverable to most everyone.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
I would never donate my hard drive with my computer. Hard drives are so cheap, it's not worth risking my privacy. Physically destroy it by shattering it and melting it, and then buy a 5GB or 10GB hard drive for $30.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. Goihng to a day care that wants to use if for teaching games - CD Rom - which it has. Bells and Whistles not important for the kids in this case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.