Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A couple of months ago, I was in a thread to solve some computer problems. Senior member Raybro was very helpful in solving my problems. In doing so, I installed Sygate Personal Firewall, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, IE-Spyad, and Cookiewall. I already had McAfee virus protection. My computer is operating very well now. Recently, I heard on the radio that if you have a broadband connection to the internet, which I have, you should have a hardware router firewall. Do I need one (I only have one computer), and if so, what do you recommend I get?
Thanks in advance, Larpat

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
There are many consumer firewalls avail. for the public. From as low as $ 50 inexcess of $500... I suggest stick with Linksys or D-Link which provide enough protection. Of course if you have more then one pc , might wanna get a firewall which has 4 + network ports on the back and if you happen to have a wireless pc , well u need to go with an wireless router/firewall.
Even though it might sound like wearing belts and suspenders , a hardware firewall might prove to be "what the doctor ordered".
HTH

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that because I have a wired computer I will need a wired router and not a wireless router. Is this correct or can a wireless router be used with a wired computer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by larpat:
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that because I have a wired computer I will need a wired router and not a wireless router. Is this correct or can a wireless router be used with a wired computer?
If you already have a NIC/LAN card in your computer, you plug in the router to the computer, and the cable/dsl modem into the router.
If you don't have a NIC/LAN in your computer, you have to add one. Wired are cheaper than wireless, and are more secure than wireless.

Example:
computer------router(LAN port) router(WAN port)----broadband modem

Hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.