Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a question that maby it is frequently asced and discused, i need to select a firewall for a company i work for, so what would be the best choice soft firewall or hardware one, from my experience, having in mind that i realy need protection only for the database server not for all the pc's in the network i think a software firewall would do, but that is only my opinion, i need yours. thanks

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Why are you only protecting the DB server? I'd think you'd want to protect all the machines! :confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 4 your reply, there is no need to protect all the machines (nothing inportant on them) so only the dbserver has important data, and by the way is there a way to attack the dbserver by using other unprotected pc's remotly (thay have acces to the dbserver)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If the other machines have access to the DB server, it's certainly possible for them to compromise it! In addition, if the data has any confidentially, it could also be disseminated by a rogue machine that has been infected.

IMO, just because the machines "have nothing important on them", that's not a reason not to protect them. I'm going to guess that they're somewhat important to the operation of the business, no?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would use both. Windows XP SP" built in firewall for the computers (Assumeing they run XP) and a Firebox. Thats my set up. Proctects my 100 or so computers on the service desk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.