289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F7SEM mobo
AMD 1500 CPU
80 gig HDD
1024 gigs memory
running windows xp pro

Reason for this post.
It's an old problem that I'm still having. To refresh your memory I took it out originally to check a hdd for someone else. However when I went to put it back in the pc would not recognize it. There is some information on it that I really would love to get back. It's a IBM 40 gig Deskstar. I looked on it to see if I could see the capacity and the other info that so that I might use so that I could put it in manually but I can't find that either.
I have a Maxtor 80 gig in there now and have tried to put the IBM it in as a slave and and even tried cable select but it still didn't see it. I have not tried to take the Maxtor out again just see if it would see the Deskstar because I did have a bit of trouble getting the pc to see the Maxtor at first, but eventually set it up with no problem.
The thing of it is...there was no problem with the IBM to begin with, it ran great but after taking it out and not be able to set it up I just decided to get a larger one. The size of the drive seems not to be a problem since it sees a 80 gig without any problem. It should recognize the 40 gig right? i didn't change anything on the IBM nor did I erase anything.
I hope I did not confuse you as much as I am lol.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jac

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
have you set it up to auto detect in the bios
can you see it in the bios,if you cannot then try another cable
try it on the other eide channel

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Try hooking it up as master by itself and see if it is seen. If it is, you probably can hook the maxtor as slave and transfer the files you want.

Also try a new cable

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really only want to just copy onto CD the hdd. I'm just a little leery about taking out the Maxtor and having the same problem occur that happened when I took out the IBM and when I try to put it back it it won't recognize either. lol

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
it sounds like the drive is on it's way out or gone,what makes me think twice is you had problems with the other drive which would point to the eide.
try reseting the cmos either by the jumpers or by pulling the battery.
you could also try a new battery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.