Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently downloaded loads of music video's with a view to burning them onto DVD using my Nero 7 DVD Burning Programme. I had 75% free space on my hard drive at that time. Many of these video's were flv format so I had to download and install a flv to mpg video converter programme. Well, two actually. One proved to be better than the other. After converting the video's from flv to mpg (so that Nero would accept them) and making up the music video compilation using Nero 7 I noticed that I had only 4% free space left on my hard drive. So I couldn't get on with the second compilation. Nero told me I needed more hard disc space. I then deleted all the music video's I no longer needed, both the flv versions and the converted mpg versions. I also deleted/uninstalled the video converter programme's along with a few other programme's I don't (or very rarely) use. I emptied the Re-cycle bin and then attempted to defragment. But I was told that I needed 15% free space but I still only have 4%. Even after all that deleting and unistalling. Why is that ?
What puzzles me is this. Before I even started to download the music video's I had the video conversion programme's downloaded and installed, waiting. And I still had 75% free space. But now I have deleted all the music video's and have less programme's installed than when I started this project and yet I still only have 4% free space on my hard drive.
Why hasn't the free space returned to 75% ? In fact it should be more than that since I've uninstalled programme's that were on my computer when it showed 75% free. Someone please help.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Toi get rid of Temp files. Click Start >>>> Run in the box type in %Temp% Then enter. Everything that shows up can be deleted with no problem. If you get any propmts saying it cant delete some that is ok just move on as a few left overs should not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
you don't have to convert the flv files to mpg
get hold of the free program DvdFlick(google it) this author program will convert the flv2dvd for you it will create a set of video_ts files ready to burn on dvd disk

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
First line - don't know what you're talking about
Second line - Did you read my post/thread ?
Pretty sure that he did. In computer speak he was saying that wnen you convert files they often make a temporary file some where else on the hard drive. same as when you go to burn a file the computer can prepare a file somewhere else on your hard drive. Try the Temp delete thing I posted and it should remove most of those.

Not sure what programs you have on your computer but norton system works often stores files you delete in case you want to restore them.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty sure that he did. In computer speak he was saying that wnen you convert files they often make a temporary file some where else on the hard drive. same as when you go to burn a file the computer can prepare a file somewhere else on your hard drive. Try the Temp delete thing I posted and it should remove most of those.

Not sure what programs you have on your computer but norton system works often stores files you delete in case you want to restore them.
I found a load of sub-folders within in my 'Imported Video's' folder in 'Nero Vision' folder. Deleted them and saved a lot of space. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.