Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new here and I hope someone can help me. I was working on a friends computer. She had a ton of spyware, malware and trojans that needed to be cleaned out. It's an IBM Netvista 2276, Celeron [email protected], 128MB Ram, 10GB hard drive,CD-ROM, running WindowsME. After getting it all cleaned out, I turned it off. Went to boot up the computer this morning to install anti-virus and the hard drive crashed. Not recognized in BIOS...no sound...nothing. I tried all day, but it's definitely gone. :( Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement hard drive that is compatible with this computer? I've searched IBM, shopping websites, etc. I'm worried about buying something that won't work in this computer (not made of money here!) :confused: I'm trying to absorb a crash course on hard drives, but I need to get one for this computer NOW! Thank you so much for any help!

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I'm not sure that I would rush to the conclusion that the HD is Kaput.

I have heard of 'cleaning' up a system causing dramatic problems...when essential files get removed or corrupted...unintentionally.

Have you tried booting from a CD or Floppy? Get one from Bootdisk.com.

I would suggest that you reload the motherboard drivers before you proceed further. If you do not have the CD or floppy for them, check out the IBM site for downloads.

If it still fails to find the HD, then I would load the BIOS defaults...and try booting.

Another test would be to run a standalone bootable Diagnostic against the Drive. You can generally get them from the HD manufacturer's website.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've tried the ME startup disk, loaded the BIOS defaults and everything else I can think of. Before I shut it down last night, it was fine. I had done several reboots during the course of the evening as I was clearing away the spyware, etc. The last thing I did was run one more Spybot scan and it came up with nothing. So--I decided to quit for the evening. There was no hint of any hard drive trouble. Is there a DOS command to run system diagnostics?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
winbob said:
I'm not sure that I would rush to the conclusion that the HD is Kaput.

I would suggest that you reload the motherboard drivers before you proceed further. If you do not have the CD or floppy for them, check out the IBM site for downloads.
how would you load drivers with the hdd not being recognized?

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you want a new hard drive, any off-the-shelf IDE drive should work. I wouldn't throw a bunch of $$ into that PC though.
If you can boot from a floppy and see stuff on the hard drive, you could try some things before replacing the HD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you AGCurry. I found a pretty good price on a Maxtor 30GB drive (around $45). I'll see if my friend wants to purchase and replace the drive or let me give her a few bucks for the computer for "practice" for myself.
Booting from the floppy still showing no drive present, so I assume it's dead. In any event, thanks to everyone for the help. :)
Ter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.