Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my hard drive had a red light. I bought a new USB cable and red light went back to blue one but although hard drive appears in computer it is showing as empty. None of my shortcuts for files stored in it are working and it looks like everything has gone.please help

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would assume that your talking about a external hard drive?

·
Super Moderator
46,574 Posts
From your post, I assume this is an external type hd. The very first thing I would do would be to try it in another system.

If that fails, then pull the drive out of the enclosure and connect it to a desktop and see if you can access the files. If you can, then it is the enclosure that has failed. If you cannot, it is the drive that has failed.

·
Super Moderator
46,574 Posts
It is difficult if not impossible to give detailed instructions since each enclosure would be different. There are either some screws to remove or the unit has a sliding plate or other means of securing the unit together.

If I had it in front of me, I could give you detailed instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys newbie here , i installed a second hard drive in my pc as a slave ,it is recocnized in divice manager and says its working properly , but when I go to my computer its not showing up , I enabled auto detect in the bios , I'm running xp home edition , do I need to format the hd or configure it some were ? I,m frustrated I've added hd's in win98 in the past no problem any help would be great thanks in advance Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.