Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pc's Hard Drive power LED light stays on. It started doing this shortly after I did a complete HD re-format and install of Win XP.
Is this just a coincidence?
The drive only makes noises when accessed for a read or write function, otherwise there is no noise from the drive, even though the LED stays on.
It never did this before!
Is this something that needs to be corrected? How?
Starting in Safe Mode has the same results--LED stays on.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you gone into Task Manager to check the percentage of CPU usage. I have seen this when the CPU is attempting to communicate with the hard drive. That was back in the DOS days but probably worth looking into.

·
Registered
49 Posts
johnorun,
How much memory are you running?
What is the speed of your Processor?

If you do not have at least 256MB RAM, then you can defrag until you are blue in the face. Your hard drive is probably just swapping back and form from memory to compensate for a low amount of memory. As well with a slow processor, 400 MHz and slower, all of the pretty graphics is causing the processor to work over time, although that would not cause your HDD light to stay on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you update your bios before you installed WinXP?
I have had instances when changing the PROM chip this situation arose. If there is no HDD drive activity when this is happening then it has something to do with the PIN outs on the motherboard. There is a wire that runs from the LED on the computer to the motherboard that causes the light to iluminate when the motherboard senses HDD activity.
Have you had your case open for any reason, and if so, have you unplugged and then plugged back in any wires from motherboard.
When there is HDD activity, like when you boot up, does the LED blink?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ronnie, I have only one stock of memory.
PAPPY, no, I didn't touch the BIOS. Do i need to update my bios after a Windows XP upgrade?.
I checked the LED wire and it's installed correctly, and YES, the LED does blink brighter when there is HDD activity.
Any other ideas, anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.