Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I bought a ned DVD drive for my computer, and a new round ATA cable.
While I was installing the drive, I moved the hard drive down a couple bays, so that there would be room for the extra cable and make everything more accessible.

After I hooked everything back up and started the computer, I got a message that said there was a hard drive error, insert system disk, hit enter.
I have no idea what happened, the hard drive worked perfectly yesterday, even today, but now I can't get past this error. I know while I was moving the HDD down, I accidently had my hand on the bottom (on the open board) a time or two.
The hard drive doesn't make any sound, or vibrate at all when the computer is on. I'm using a new power supply, but the hard drive has worked with the PSU before, and the PSU still powers everything else fine.

It's a Maxtor 150 GB SATA hard drive.

Any ideas on what to try before I drop $70 - $100 on a new hard drive?

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Well, I'd do some basic troubleshooting before you buy a new drive. :)

First off, if the drive doesn't spin up, it sounds like the power connector is lose or damaged. Have you tried a different SATA P/S connector on the drive? Take a close look at the drive and see if anything got damaged in the connector area.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps I should mention this first:
When I originally was putting all the cables back in the computer after installing the new DVD drive and moving the hard drive, I grabbed a different SATA cable then I orignally was using with the PSU. When I tried turning on the computer then, the PSU would flick on for maybe a second, then shut off. Once I used the SATA cable that originally came with the PSU, the computer turned on fine, until it got to the "Disc Boot Failure, Insert system disk and press Enter" message. The only big difference I could find in the cables is that the metal the the pin would normally go into was missing in a different spot. From what I know, one of those metal casings is intentionally left out. But, yes, I have tried different connectors and cables.

The PSU is a brand new OCZ 520W ModStream, I just got my old one replaced under warrenty. So I'm really hoping that isn't it, but it was something I was thinking.

The drive doesn't look like it has anything damaged or out of place.

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Well, I'd be testing yet another P/S, since that seems to be the common denominator. Do you have another system to test components in?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.