Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day, my computer won't boot. It says "NTLDR is missing".

OK. No problem. I'm pretty fanatical about backing everything up and use Acronis True-Image to create backup copies of my main hard drive.. I boot from my Acronis CD and restore the drive image I have stored on my second hard drive. Everything is back to normal and I run for a couple of days and everything works fine -- until the next time I shut down or reboot.

NTLDR is missing.

Restore again. Run for several days and everything is fine -- until I shut down or reboot. NTLDR is missing.

Try putting in a different hard drive. Restore. Run for several days and everything is fine -- until I shut down or reboot. NTLDR is missing.

OK. Maybe the drive image I'm trying to restore from is hosed. Or maybe it's a bad hard drive (they are 3+ years old)

So today I buy a brand new hard drive. Do a fresh install (Windows XP Pro). Windows installs and everything works fine. Verify that the file "ntldr" is present on my hard drive. Start re-installing programs and everything is fine -- until I reboot.

NTLDR is missing. --- WTF???

For now, I have discovered a work-around. Put the Acronis CD in when I boot, Acronis loads and then when the menu comes up I just select "Windows" to bypass Acronis and boot into Windows.. Don't know why, but it works.

This is driving me nuts. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anaheimduck said:
Hi could be the bios needs an update
I thought of that, but it doesn't make sense. I built the computer a little over 2 years ago and have not made any hardware changes. Everything has been fine up till now -- why would the BIOS suddenly "go bad"?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know, but maybe if you deleted the NTLDR file and then followed the steps provided in the microsoft article it would work.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't read all of it. never mind what I said.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anaheimduck said:
I know I have had the same error after a big lock up with the cpu it threw the bios I had to reset it still might not be problem with your system thats what happened in my case
After reading your message, I decided to go poking around the BIOS and found the problem. I have 2 hard drives, and somehow the boot order got changed in the BIOS. It was trying to boot from my 2nd hard drive -- which of course is not bootable.

Changed it back to the proper setting and now everything is fine.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.