Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, thanks for your help.

Long story short:

1) One random day, computer would not boot and I reformatted and re-installed Windows 7
2) My primary SATA hard drive with Windows 7 is working fine
3) My secondary SATA hard drive (my pictures!) is detected in BIOS but not in Disk Management. It used to work fine.
4) I've tried refreshing Disk Management, but no "unnamed drive" or anything shows up
5) I've tried moving the missing hard drive's SATA connection on the motherboard
6) I've tried downloading the latest motherboard RAID drivers and BIOS version from my motherboard's manufacturer

Now I'm thinking about buying an external USB enclosure for the SATA hard drive to get my pictures. I'd be out $20 and no longer have the drive directly connected to my motherboard, which I believe is a much faster connection.

Would you guys have any advice?

Thanks a lot and happy new year!
Josh

·
Registered
732 Posts
Since you didn't indicate what caused your original problem, it may have been a virus. Since you reformatted and reinstalled WIN/7, your primary drive is fine. But if there was a virus on your system, your secondary drive may have also been infected. Some virus attack the MBR (Master boot Record). If its corrupted (MBR), your BIOS will see the drive, but windows will not. SO ! I would recommend you read this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 and follow the procedure they outline. You maybe able to restore this drive so that you can continue to access it.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.