Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone encountered problems with hard drives failing in 790's? Had loads of these go in the last few weeks. And conveniently just a few weeks after the 3 year warranty had expired. Slap a new hard drive in and re-image and they're back up and running again. But a colleague said one of them was the second time in 3 months that a hard drive had to be replaced.
Always this model. We have older Dells, HP's, etc, which rarely fail.

Wonder if it's a similar scenario to the one about 10 years ago when a peeved employee set something or other so capacitors started to blow after he left the company (so I heard from a Dell techie). GX280 was it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies. Most of them were BSOD's where the drives had failed sectors. I ran diagnostics which confirmed they had faults, and where they were still just in warranty, I called Dell, giving them the error code, so they would ship out a replacement drive.

There have been 2, which were freezing on the BIOS screen. As they were out of warranty, I just popped new drive in without running the diags first. Assumed the hard drives had failed like in the BSOD problem mentioned above. Only this week I realised that you can unlug drive for a minute, boot the PC up and upgrade the BIOS to A18.
My colleague has been going in out of hours to upgrade all the 790's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.