Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. :confused: Can I recover the data on my hard drive which is in a desktop PC that died last week? Take the HD out, hook it up somehow, move the data to a backup or portable HD?
Thanks from Pacejo

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you have another desktop PC, you can take the HDD out of the dead PC and put it in a new one, considering that the connectors are the same (If it is a SATA drive and so is the computer). Is the HDD new? Do you have warranty on it?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
An alternative to Jordster's suggestion, would be to purchase a USB external enclosure, install the HDD from the dead PC and connect it to another PC via USB. Then it's just a matter of drag and drop to salvage your data. This would work with either a desktop or a laptop.

Raybro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is a SATA Hard Drive? How do I tell?
As I do not have another working desktop, alternative one is not feasible.

Also, what is an enclosure for the hard drive? I do have a working laptop that I can use if that helps.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I'm finding that SATA has something to do with Serial vs. IDE drive and I guess I can look in the specs for my Compaq desktop processor (the one gone bad) and find out which type I have.
Also, I see there are such things as USB External HD Enclosures into which I can put the hard drive from my out of order desktop in hopes of recovering the data.
I'll check further and if there are more questions, I'll let you know.
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
383 Posts
An alternative to Jordster's suggestion, would be to purchase a USB external enclosure, install the HDD from the dead PC and connect it to another PC via USB. Then it's just a matter of drag and drop to salvage your data. This would work with either a desktop or a laptop.

Raybro
I was almost going to suggest that, but I thought that it may of required a bit of advanced knowledge (no offense, if you feel I just offended you)

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I tried to look up the specs on a Presario 5200 (that is what is shown in your TSG computer specs) and that appears to be a series starting with 5201 and ending in 5298. You need to either determine from your documentation what the hard drive interface is or provide the specific model number. Once that is established, we can find out just what type hard drive you have (SATA or IDE). You must know that before you can get the right kind of external enclosure which will allow you to connect the drive to your laptop via USB.

Just to give you and idea of what you are looking at for hardware needs, here is a link to Newegg for 3.5" SATA enclosures, and another for 3.5" IDE enclosures.

Raybro

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I was almost going to suggest that, but I thought that it may of required a bit of advanced knowledge (no offense, if you feel I just offended you)
Never even considered being offended. I learn from everyone on this forum, from the newest to the oldest. :D

Raybro

·
Super Moderator
46,572 Posts
Since he is going to have to open the case on the failed computer anyway, why not just look at the drive to determine what interfaced is used? The cable used will tell you what type of drive you have installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As in most things, the acronyms seem daunting, the chance of static shorting scary and also that part about spending money on something you don't need to fix something you're not sure you want to keep, but, it worked. And I'm not poor either.
Purchased a I/O 3.5 External IDE Drive Enclosure from Staples, installed the old drive from which I wanted to recover files and within 10 minutes I was back in business. And now I've a 120G hard drive to use for backup of my laptop. Hoo-ahh.
Thank you all for your help. Truly.:)
John

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
That's great. :up: Happy it worked out for you. :D

Now if would click the "Mark Solved" button at the top left side of the thread, it will be so classified in the forum list. the originator is the only one who can do that.

Raybro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.