Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have no clue what happened, one night i was up late and everything at the time was working fine, but when i woke up the next morning, i was logged off of windows and the fonts seemed to change on the welcome screen. some were now italic.
when i logged in, i noticed a bunch of missing shortcut path icons on my desktop, and it turns out that my D: drive (where i store everything, c is for windows only) is gone from My Computer. I also have limited connectivity for my network connection, which there was no problem with the night before.
i cant think of anything, im stumped. a drive just doesn't disappear. i checked my bios, and it finds the drive, but its set to third primary slave, or something to that effect.. its way down the line and i dont know how to change it.
i shut it off and left it off for about a day, until i come home today to turn it on and see what happens. it never reached the welcome screen, it froze after the windows progress bar seemed to be finished. so, i start in safe mode to try a system restore and it says something about not being able to recover the changes made to my D: drive because the settings may have been disabled. i disregarded it and went through with it anyhow, and when that was all said and done, windows booted up the same as it did the previous day, without the D: and with different fonts.

i dont know whether this is a hardware failure or simply a virus, but im leaning more towards the virus side because i regularly defragment both c: and d: every few days, and the drives are no more than a year old. ive ran malwarebytes antimalware and it found nothing. i dont know what to do, can anyone help with this?

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
I have had drives fail in a few weeks after installing. The age really does not matter much.
Next it would really really help if you posted your exact system specs. It is difficult to diagnose a problem when you do not know what you are working on.

Have you tried pulling the pw from the problem drive then seeing if the system will boot normally?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow i really hope mine didn't fail just like that out of nowhere. i was looking for something i did wrong or something that could be prevented in the future. but anyhow, ill download a software to grab the exact system specs and post back soon

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
Software apps do OK when looking for specs however nothing beats the mark I eyeball. IE open the case and look what your have. The mb make and model are usually silk-screened on the board. The pw supply has a label, etc, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i have found something interesting. i turned on my pc to install siw(the software i used to get my system specs) and the first thing i noticed was that all my icons were back to their normal condition, and i checked my computer 10 seconds later and my d: drive was indeed back! not a minute later though, it disappeared again.. it seems something is preventing it from running, though thats only speculation.

anyhow, i hope this is sufficient.. i really dont feel like opening my case, but if its necessary i will.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/io2mmaohdjt/Hardware.html
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yhyn24x2kk3/Software.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.