Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm running XP Home on a 40GB hard drive which is about 4/5 full.

I've been toying with getting a plug-in HD, but today noticed a "Compress drive to save disk space" option under HDD properties.

I couldn't find any straightforward info on Goggle about this. I vaguely remember years ago something about ?"DoubleSpace/DriveSpace"? (?DOS5?) being available but likely to cause "bad stuff".

Any advice would be appreciated ; if more system info required, let me know.

TIA,
Andy

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
First of all I'd do a general computer cleanup by running disk cleanup and the defrag. You can also manually get rid of a lot of stuff you don't use anymore. If that doesn't free up a bunch of space then you can compress the HD.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CouchMaster. I cleanup & defrag regularly out of habit. I since found this KB, so I could compress en masse, or individual files and/or folders -- but the latter would probably be no more use than e.g. WinZip.

Anyone compressed a whole drive with no ill-effects?

EDIT: and I found we have one user profile @ 3.62GB :eek: -- any comments?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
FWIW, I really don't think I'd recommend you compress the drive, it's not a panacea. I suspect a full clean-up of the drive will find the space you need without the compression.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
For what it's worth, I compressed a drive to see how much difference it would make. It took a long time and resulted in a few percent difference--not worth the time and trouble. Best to buy another drive and make your life simpler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.