Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the last couple of days, when I boot my computer it goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner and then stops. If I turn it off and reboot it works after a few times. Is this a sign of impending death of the hard drive? Anyway, I would like to clone my hard drive with XP to a larger drive and keep my OS and programs the way they are now. Could you guys recommend a program or programs to do this?

Thanks in advance,
jeffncris

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I would run a repair install from the Windows XP CD. That is if you have one. Here’s a Cut & Past from Microsoft’s site. I'm too lazy to type it out.

How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

As for imaging your system I would use .Acronis True Image

Or If your cheap like me :rolleyes: You can download freeware like Macrium Reflect FREE Edition

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I will try the repair and see how that goes. I have heard good things about Macrium so I will download that as well. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

jeffncris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.