Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 160 Gig HD and just installed SP1 for XP.
before this it only showed 128 Gig of space as is normal. no worries.

i goto 'disk managment' and it shows 128 Gigs as healthy and another 27 Gigs as 'unallocated'
i would like to make my 160 Gig HD all one partition.
if i right click the 'unallocated' Gigs, i can goto 'new partition' but from there i'm not sure if i should choose 'primary partition' or 'extended partition'.
which one of those options will simply take the remaining space that is 'unallocated' and just add it to my already 128 Gigs to give me one partition of 160 Gigs?

the reason i'm doing this is that i finally ran out of space and need more.

hope this makes sense?

thnx in advance everyone :)

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
I don't believe either option will add the space to the existing partition. Either will add the space to an additional partition.
xp will handle up to 4 primary partitions so I would choose primary although it doesn't make any difference if your not installing another os on it.
Some third party applications may be able to resize the primary partition and add the unallocated space, check out partition magic, a simple search should link you to their web site, it is not free

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips, i used partition magic 7.0 and everything worked out great!! not sure why it sucks as it worked for me in this case.
i first partitioned the unallocated section, then later merged the 2 partitions together. it took about 300 reboots, but hey, its done.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
not sure why it sucks as it worked for me in this case.
I move and resize partitions on whims from time to time, both on this machine and others. PM has never caused me the slightest heartache. It works brilliantly.

I rarely even prepare the "rescue floppies", but I will live to regret skipping that step, I imagine.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Originally posted by Butterpants:
Partition magic sucks, but it's exactly what you're looking for. Just make sure to back yo stuff up before you fiddle.
I don't know where this comment is coming from, but PM is the standard that other partitioning programs are judged by. Why do you think it sucks?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.