Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my problem i a nutshell

I have an IBM t40p laptop which originally came with an 80gb hard disk( can't tell the model) Which started giving me problems and I decided to replace it with a 180gb Western Digital Scorpio drive( IDE interface)

I use Ubuntu so I tried setting it up on the new hard disk then I noticed something wierd, It couldn't boot the 9.04 liveCD with the hard disk inserted. SOmehow I connected the disk via USB and installed the system. however now the Harddisk is not recognised as a boot device.

From the problem I guessed it was a power thing but once in a while the hard disk works. I can read from it OK when I connect via USB but booting is a problem. Anybody else had a similar problem with this type of laptop and willing to recommend a remedy?

Right now I've resorted to running the liveCD without a hard disk, sucks

PC specs
IBM t40p
1GB ram
64MB ATI graphics

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi,

You said ; "I use Ubuntu so I tried setting it up on the new hard disk then I noticed something wierd, It couldn't boot the 9.04 liveCD with the hard disk inserted. SOmehow I connected the disk via USB and installed the system. however now the Harddisk is not recognised as a boot device."

I honestly don't have a clue what you mean here. Do you mean that when you connect the 'new' hard drive you are not able to boot into Ubuntu? Also, you say you "somehow" connected the disk via USB - are you referring to the hard drive and are you referring to an external enclosure for the drive? Humm, very, very confusing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh sorry I sounded cryptic. I can't boot into ubuntu or any other OS for that matter tried running fdisk and iI got 'no fixed disk present'

Yes I put the drive in an external enclosure and ran the live CD and I installed Ubuntu on the drive but it didn't work when I put the drive back into the machine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.