Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a new hard disk and wish to format my old hard disk (too many problems to fix). If i were to transfer some files i want to keep to my new disk and disconnect it before i run my reload CD, when i reconnect it after the format will i have to initialize the HDD again loosing all my files? Or seeing as my HDD is already initialized can i just plug it back in and it will be recognised? I just dont want to go through the hassle of having to use loads of CDs/DVDs to back up my files.

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
Axemaster said:
I have just bought a new hard disk and wish to format my old hard disk (too many problems to fix). If i were to transfer some files i want to keep to my new disk and disconnect it before i run my reload CD, when i reconnect it after the format will i have to initialize the HDD again loosing all my files? Or seeing as my HDD is already initialized can i just plug it back in and it will be recognised? I just dont want to go through the hassle of having to use loads of CDs/DVDs to back up my files.
The only way to do this properly is to disconnect your hard drive when your computer is already off and unplugged and reconnect the new one when your computer is already off an unplugged.

You can't just plug it in again and it will be recognized. You'll wind up with a blue screen error message and a crash.

You also run the risk of shorting out your entire computer and having to purchase a new one.

HULK! :eek:

·
Registered
914 Posts
If your plan is to use the new drive as a second drive, then you can install it, partition and format it, copy any files (not programs) to it, then format and reinstall windows on the original drive. All your copied files will be available. To be safe, you may want to unplug the new drive while formatting the old drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So as long as I have already set up the new hard drive and only disconnect it once the comp is turned off I can reconnect it after the format and everything on it will still be there.........? Excellent. Just had to check. Cheers guys ill let you know if i managed it alright.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I STRONGLY recommend that you partition your HDD. I like it to be split as so: c:, games, apps, data. That way, it is easy to backup all the data of one type (like music) without having to trawl. Plus, better security.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I also agree with partitioning the drives. My system has 1 drive/6 partitions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.