Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My girlfriend bought a Dell laptop with Windows XP for college last semester. She's had it for about six months now and earlier today upon startup it hung for a very long time (about 20 minutes). She rebooted it to the same results. I tried doing the only thing I knew how which was booting it in safe mode, which gave me a brief flash of a blue screen before restarting. I went to safe mode again so I could make out what the error message was before the computer restarted itself and I saw that it said "KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA_ERROR". There's an error number at the bottom, but the screen flashes by so fast that I can't make it out.

Anyway, it's been a few hours and startup is still hanging. I have tried booting it in the last good settings mode and nothing seems to work. I'm not very PC savvy (yes, I am a mac user :p) and my limited knowledge doesn't really help in this situation.

I asked her if she had deleted any files which might cause a startup problem and she said that she hadn't. She uses the computer strictly for her iPod, printing papers, and burning the occasional CD. There are a few harmless games which have been downloaded for a long time now, but I don't think that she recently installed any software that could cause a kernel inpage data error, whatever that is. Her most recent piece of installed software is for her new phone, but even that was a week ago. When this problem started, the laptop wasn't very hot so I don't think that would be a problem either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm out of ideas and the computer still isn't starting up even after hanging for a good 25 minutes.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.