Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help diagnose an issue with a PC, running XP Home, 1.8Ghz Pentium 512Ram. It tends to either freeze up completly, or become unusably slow. This usually happens at times associated with either using Roxio Media Creator (7.5) or burning a DVD. Also severly slows down when copying a large file or a large amount of files between drives and folders. My initial thought was that is was a conflict between Roxio and something running in the background, since 75-90% of the problems occur when that program is running. Or possibly, but less likely, the memory module or CPU might be dieing. So, I decided to run the Sandra Burn-In Wizard to see what it might find. It "stress tested" the CPU and memory, and both passed just fine. The DVD drive passed as well. However, the system completly locks up when it tries to run the "File system" module of the burn-In. I havn't been able to find a lot of info regarding this, so any ideas why File System module might crash it?
Thank you!!
-K

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Try un-installing Roxio 7.5 I had it on my computer for about 1 hour after installation and my system slowed down so much it was pathetic. There is something with the 7.5 that is a bad thing version 8 or 9 is just fine. Also I would suggest that after removing 7.5 that you reboot and defrag the hard drive then reboot again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing that runs at start up is firewall and antivirus. Also checked for viruses and such, nothing found.
I ran 7.5 on this system, for quite some time without any problems what-so-ever. But then the other system....that's why I am only partitally suspicious of Roxio. I was thinking more along the lines of a conflict with something else, but nothing jumps out at me here. Yes, more RAM would be very beneficial, but these problems shouldn't exist or be so severe with 512Mb either.
Any idea why the Sandra File System burn-in module would crash everytime??
Thanks
-K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.