Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PCClub computer, Windows 98 Second Edition, MSI Motherboard with built in sound function, was getting sound on boot up and from CNN Video clips from their news page, I had some problems with network adaptors and may have deleted something to do with the sound. (Ended up installing a external Kingston ethernet adapter and did not use the on mother board one in order to connect to SWBell DSL modem) Have externel powered speakers and they are powered up and volume up.

I do not have the volume icon showing in my lower right bottom tray and did have it there at one time.

went to the multimedia properties drop down and the check box and title for sound video and game controller is grayed out, so I cannot check the box.

when I go to start accessories and click on volume control, nothing happens

Under system properties, device manager, soundvideo and game controllers, it shows:
VIA AC'97audio controller (WDM)
Wave Device for Voice Modem
as entriesl

I am pretty sure I have done something wrong somewhere as I fooled with QuikTime and Windows Media Player as both worked at one time and now they come up and do not do the sound and I cannot get the radio function on Windows Media player to work.

I am reading the books I have and so far am coming up blank.

Any Ideas or should I just take the unit back to the retailer that built it PCClub.

All help appreciated

Dave

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doyle,

thanks again,

Nope it did not un gray the volume control.

I will what you suggest later tonight, have to run out for a while.

I certainly appreciate your help

dave

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doyle,

went to device manager, removed all the sound device drivers, rebooted and reloaded them.

suddenly, every thing is working.

You are the man!

and I appreciate the help

dave:)

· Registered
76 Posts
If nothing else works, you could try going into the Bios (Where the onboaerd sound card is initiated from) and make sure it is set to on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.