Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do Technical phone support for a living, and I'm at my grandma's place for the holidays, and I was asked to give my grandma a hand with a few computer problems she is having... I got them all fixed but this one thing, and I have never ran into this problem before.

My Grandma has a Computer and a Laptop. Both running Window XP Home. She also has a D-link wireless router. When I set up her network about a year ago, I set it up so she could do file sharing between the two. The problem now is that she can access files on her computer from her laptop, but not the other way around. Both had file sharing on. I have been messing with this for 3-4 hours now.

I found the cause of the problem, but I can not find a way to correct it. In her Windows Firewall it says: "For your Security, some of your settings are controlled by Group Policy". In the exceptions it shows that Group Policy is blocking File sharing.

I looked all over google and Microsoft's site and all I can see is that this should only occur on a XP Pro or Windows Server 2003, not on XP Home! I tried looking for the gpedit.msc, but it does not exsist on this system, and I see no other way of changing the Group Policy settings. Nothing in the administrative tools either....

Dose anyone have any clue how to change, edit or disable Group Policy on a Windows XP Home Edition system, that dose not have the gpedit.msc?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two folders in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall
DomainProfile and StandardProfile.

I noticed on the other PC that it does not even have the WindowsFirewall folder, so I backed up the registry key and deleted the WindowsFireWall folder. It didnt fix the problem, but the error message changed... "Microsoft Windows Network : Logon Failure:the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Also, that article seems to apply to XP Pro only, not home edition. I am sure this Group Policy thing is an XP Pro thing, and shouldn't even be on a Home Edition system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.