Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in England the BBC recently broadcast a series culminating in a poll to determine who the viewers held to be the 100 Greatest Britons.

The final list caused a fair amount of negative feedback due to some of the more unlikely choices, among whom were a long time Radio D.J, and David Beckham (footballer, media 'icon', and husband of the artist formerly known as Posh Spice :) ) Whereas in contrast people such as Byron and Keats were not nominated. Others felt rightly or wrongly that placing Diana Princess of Wales at #6 was a gross exaggeration of her impact on British culture, and more emotive than anything else.

I am interested in hearing who other board members here would vote for in a similar poll of Great Americans.

I went to a school for Air Force brats here in England. We had tutors from all NATO nations, and having studied American History I would have thought either George Washington or F.D.R would be first choice owing to the impact they each had on America in two such critical periods.

Any ideas most welcome.

RSM123

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
RSM123..........Just out of curiosity, who was voted number one? I would have voted for Winston Churchill.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Oh Great!

Now you-know-who is going to volunteer for greatest American!!:rolleyes:

G

·
RSM123,

My vote would be for .....Roy Rogers and his horse "Trigger".

Now you might think that I'm being facitious....but, I'm deadly serious........;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps he could be greaest American also as his mother Jennie Jerome hailed from the USA ?? :)

I am trying to get a decent link to the full list as some I found have them over 10 pages = or each name in active text so you can click for a brief bio.

·
A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten
17,197 Posts
This list should get you know who going:;)

Eleonor Roosevelt, Martin Luther King, Thomas Edison, The Wright Brothers, Albert Einstein, Alfred Hitch****, Bob Hope, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Jimmy Carter, Jonas Salk, Walt Disney, Bill Gates, David Sarnoff, Florence Nightengale, Rosa Parks, Margaret Sanger, more later.....

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Originally posted by RSM123:
Sorry For Delay.

Winston Churchill was the 'winner'.
Can I call it or what. ;)

Eggy, IMO, is headed in the right direction. I would agree with Jefferson and Lincoln. The rest of the men and women cited are (no disrespect intended) one dimensional as to accomplishments. Not that this makes their accomplishments any less amazing just not on par with a Lincoln or Churchill.

I pushed for Churchill as the greatest in the last 100 years. Limiting ourselves to Americans makes it more difficult (technically Einstein, Hitch****, Hope, Jefferson, Franklin and Washington were/are not Americans).

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Originally posted by gbrumb:
Can I call it or what. ;)

Eggy, IMO, is headed in the right direction. I would agree with Jefferson and Lincoln. The rest of the men and women cited are (no disrespect intended) one dimensional as to accomplishments. Not that this makes their accomplishments any less amazing just not on par with a Lincoln or Churchill.
I agree, but since the list is of 100 Americans, I think there's some leeway because I'll bet you can't find 100 as great as a Lincoln.

And no, Mulder doesn't count as 50. ;)

If you're talking 100 people who had the greatest impact on American history/culuture, you'd have to have a mix of political figures as well as soldiers and artists and scientists and even sports figures. So for instance Babe Ruth or MacArthur should be on the list.

Originally posted by gbrumb:

Limiting ourselves to Americans makes it more difficult (technically Einstein, Hitch****, Hope, Jefferson, Franklin and Washington were/are not Americans).
I think a special case can be made for Jefferson, Franklin and Washington in that they were born on what became American soil and were original American citizens.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to those who have replied,

I agree about the impact Lincoln had on the USA by successfully retaining The Union, I just assumed people would have opted for Washington (albeit born before the actual creation of the nation) or FDR for his steering it out of The Depression.

Some interesting choices

As regards Churchill becoming an American - I believe he was awarded 'honorary citizenship' though not sure when, perhaps during Truman or Eisenhower Administration, as Roosevelt died during WW2 and the war was still raging it cannot have been until '46 onwards. Perhaps during his post war visit when he made his 'Iron Curtain' speech.

Wish all members a good weekend.

RSM123

·
A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten
17,197 Posts
I realize that some of those I posted were not born on American soil, but they did become American Citizens, and did contribute mightily, doesn't that constitute the essence of who we are?

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Certainly no dispute from me here. Whether any of the above were native born or not, if the activities with which they became synonymous then that is what counts. For example we here of course consider George Washington to be American - the precise chronology is academic as it was his intention to take a different direction.

One thing we were taught in school about concerning the reason English became the paramount though I realise not official language was that their was a vote in Congress. Supposedly it was selected by a majority of 1 over the alternative - German. I have since read in a book '1001 Things You Never Knew About American History' that this is a myth. There never was such a vote.

As regards prominent persons I'm only looking for input purely out of curiosity. I think it was another post by someone else that referred to the issue of non native birth.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Well I am a pretty great American and I am one the most important to me. ;) My son and daughter also Great Americans.

Oh no don't let anyone argue with you differently English IS the official language in America. Although I will accept the argument that American a language of it's own now but if you move here learn the language and that language IS English.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello deh,

Thanks for responding. What I was referring to above was as I understand there is 'official' status of English be it our form or yours, that all languages there are considered of equal status. Pretty much the same as your nation not having an official 'established' church. Whereas in England our language is English and our established church is the (protestant) Church of England - with the Queen as its head. I think your constitution would prohibit a similar situation.

RSM.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.