Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday sees the end of the mass production of televisions in the UK when the last set rolls off the production line at Toshiba's plant in Plymouth.

The factory will close on Friday with the loss of 270 jobs and the end of an historic British industry.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8222546.stm

Anyone else remember black and white tvs and the white dot :D:D

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Like so many people in the UK, the 1953 Coronation was the impetus for the aquisition of a TV. I was living with my mother, sister and grandparents and our 'rich' uncle got us a 9 inch B/W TV that incorporated a radio.

At that time it was a one channel (BBC) deal, commercial television didn't arrive until 1956 in our area, by which time our old TV had expired. I remember that most programmes were live so that when problems arose, the ' Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible' caption was shown, followed by the 'Potters Wheel', or some other filmed insert, would appear until the technical hitch was resolved

Broadcasting hours were limited in those days so no 'breakfast' TV. There was a close down after lunch until about 5pm when you could see 'Billy Bunter'. At that time I was probably listening to 'Childrens Hour' on the 'wireless', so I've really given my age away now!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Hi buffoon,

Yeah, those inventive Scots, eh?

-- Tom ;)

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Hi buffoon,

Yeah, those inventive Scots, eh?

-- Tom ;)
Hi Tom,
the claim is a bit like putting the telephone down to the German Philip Reis or the light bulb to the (equally) German Heinrich Goebel.

It's amusing when in Germany to find the village where the latter was born plastered with plaques that lay claim to it being the birth place of the light bulb inventor.

Whereas Reis did get some sort of sound transmitted (as Baird did transmit some sort of image) it was far from what Bell achieved. Goebel had long since emigrated to the US where he started experimenting. His ever having gotten any sort of electric light out of a glass container is highly doubtful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.