Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a graphics editing program that is more advanced than Paint but less complicated then Adobe Photoshop, it needs to be suitable for children of ages 9 to 13 year olds to use in an educational setting.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Gimp has a steep learning curve however once you master it there are few things you can't do. paint.net has a fair amount of features and is easy to use.

In educational settings you often have one or two kids who are very advanced so perhaps load the gimp to keep them busy when they have done their work.

At my school I have loaded the following software on our pc's. Most of it is opensource or freeware.
-openoffice.org (similar to office without the price tag).
-irfanview (great for quick crops, resizing and it can do a lot more)
-gimp (more advanced graphics editor for those who want it)
-nvu (great for website authoring)
-firefox
-thunderbird
-cutepdf (prints anything as a pdf document)
-the sage (super dictionary and more)
-celestia (for looking at the stars and what not)

As a school, I am also able to get great discounts. If I find something I like but can't afford it, I normally just write an email to the software company giving them details about the school and request if they have some sort of cheaper option.

This way I am also able to have the newest office products as I have purchased a microsoft educational license. It costs about R4500 per year and includes the latest office suite and windows operating system which I can install on our 25 pc's and am aloud to give to teachers to use at home.

I have found that a lot of smaller software companies are often willing to give me licenses for their software, sometimes this means putting a note up in the pc lab acknowledging their contribution. Worst case, they simply don't reply to my email.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.