Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have been suffering from some serious issues causing pretty much any game I play (Call of Duty: WaW, TF2, Titan Quest, [but no crashes in Killing Floor...]) to eventually freeze my PC entirely to the point where I have to hard reboot.

At first I assumed it was my video card. I rolled back my drivers, that didn't work, so I tried installing a different one I had laying around (GeForce 8800 to 9800 GTX+) but the issue continued on. I've since then reinstalled the most recent drivers and un/reinstalled DirectX. It's not an overheating issue as the artifacting happens at reasonable temperatures for the GPU (45-55 celcius)

I also tried system restoring back to a point before the issues started happening, but that didn't fix the issue either.

Running XP SP 3.
2gigs of Kingston RAM.
Intel Core 2 q6600 Quad.
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+
500w Power Supply

Nothing is or ever has been overclocked.

At this point I'm going to have to assume it's a memory error or that I need to reformat.

Does this seem like a memory error? I can run my PC all day, running non-visually intensive games and it never artifacts or crashes. 30 minutes in Titan Quest or TF2 and it dies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you're guess at being the memory is correct, perhaps if you have any pieces of RAM laying about you could try it out, or a friends before forking out cash to buy some more.

At first I thought it could of been a power supply failure, obviously when running games you're components work harder and perhaps a lack of power could of been the problem. However I don't think this is the case considering a 500watt Power Supply seems sufficient for what you're running.

Either way I'm pretty sure the problem is at hardware level and not software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to add a piece of information that may be useful in terms of diagnosis of the problem.

When I run these games in windowed mode, and they crash, all the visual artifacts and distortion takes place only within the window the game that crashes. Running my monitor at native 1680x1050, running TF2 windowed at 800x600 or 1440x900, it only occurs within the game window.

So this seems to rule out anything but the memory to me. Memtests did come up as positive with a problem, just gotta play the waiting game for more memory to come.

If anyone has any other suggestions besides replacing the RAM sticks, I'm still open to anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.