Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take a site to appear on google (standard web search)?

My site (link is in my profile, not sure if I can post it in a message because of the (sensible, obviously) "no advertising"rule), has been up for just over 2 weeks. It has meta tags both on the domain page (it's got framed webforwarding) and on the actual content page the domain points to.

10 days ago I submitted it (the main actual content page) for catergory listing at dmoz.org, so I know I'll have to wait at least a month for that (if not longer as it's kind of a unique idea (I think) and didn't really fit into a catergory 100%), and that's not so much of a big deal.

So, how long until google finds it - ie if someone typed "bob marley" and "banana splits" my site would appear *somewhere* in the results?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Few search engines rely on metatags anymore...too many sites had bogus tags. Google (and now many others) relies heavily on links...the more links to your site, the better the chances it will get into Google's top ranks.

No matter how many links, though, it can (and usually does) take months for a new site to make it into the tops ranks of any search engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Miz.

I tried to reply yesterday but my cable modem is nearly dead, so I lost everything I wrote when I hit "reply".

Here goes...

I suspected META tags might not be vital - I'd viewed the source of some sites when I've been searching for whatever on google and some don't have any.

I'll be patient and wait, I had the idea for the site more than 10 years ago (well in a way, I didn't know what the 'net was then) and I bought the domain last July and didn't upload the site until two weeks ago... so I can wait another few months.

I'll just have to come up with another idea for drumming up visitors... if anyone replies to this - any tips?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.