1181 - 1200 of 1217 Posts

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

PG&E will pilot bidirectional electric car charging in California

Disaster preparedness is becoming a bit more mainstream as the effects of climate change and the fallibility of human institutions become more clear. The auto industry has followed this trend, with more than one automaker pointing to the fact that an electric vehicle is essentially a giant backup battery that could power your home for a few days in the event of an emergency.

Now, Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) will begin testing bidirectional charging in California with new pilot programs announced this week at General Motors and Ford.

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

·
Registered
59,690 Posts
Adding a driver's license or state ID to Wallet can be done in a few simple steps: Residents can tap the + button at the top of the screen in Wallet on their iPhone, select "Driver's License or State ID," and follow the on-screen instructions to start the setup and verification process.
(You've probably already tried this but I have a flip phone and that's kind of like a foreign language. :eek: )

·
Super Moderator
43,962 Posts
Ha
(You've probably already tried this but I have a flip phone and that's kind of like a foreign language. :eek: )
ha yeah when I click on the + button the image i shown is the options I have right now

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

Concrete made with old tires proves itself in real-world setting

With a notoriously large carbon footprint, concrete is a prime target for researchers developing greener materials for the future of construction. A number of studies have shown how old rubber tires can be used to make versions that are stronger, more heat-resistant and flexible enough for use as a road material. A new study has assessed its value in real-world settings by using concrete containing old tires as a residential slab and monitoring its performance over several years, where it outshone conventional concrete in a number of ways.

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

Researchers develop a paper-thin loudspeaker

MIT engineers have developed a paper-thin loudspeaker that can turn any surface into an active audio source.

This thin-film loudspeaker produces sound with minimal distortion while using a fraction of the energy required by a traditional loudspeaker. The hand-sized loudspeaker the team demonstrated, which weighs about as much as a dime, can generate high-quality sound no matter what surface the film is bonded to.

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

Chairless Chair 2.0 improves on the "wearable chair" concept

Appropriately named the Chairless Chair 2.0, the recently announced device is manufactured by German company noonee. The idea behind it is still the same, in that workers who have to stand for long periods of time - but who don't want to carry a stool or folding chair with them everywhere they go - can simply sit in place whenever they want.

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

·
Registered
59,690 Posts

Lift Energy Storage System: Turning skyscrapers into gravity batteries

The Lift Energy Storage System (LEST) would make use of the existing elevator systems in tall buildings. Many of these are already designed with regenerative braking systems that can harvest energy as a lift descends, so they can effectively be looked at as pre-installed power generators. The LEST would also make use of vacant spaces throughout the building, ideally close to the top and bottom. Thus, it could be remarkably cheap to retrofit this kind of capability to a building, as compared with building a dedicated gravity battery system anywhere else.

1181 - 1200 of 1217 Posts